Quick and easy weeknight pasta recipe packed with yummy vegetables and topped with simple pasta. Perfect weekday meal for the whole family to enjoy
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of RAGÚ® and Barilla®. All opinions are entirely my own.
Who has the time to make an elaborate dinner on busy weekdays?
I know I don’t, so, I know you won’t have the time either. If you work a 9-5 type of job, you want to put a quick easy recipe on your dinner table by 7pm, right?
Nothing says “Easy Weeknight Dinner” like a good old-fashioned pasta! I went with veggies in season to add to the pasta and make it a hearty meal. Just one bowl of this pasta and I was in a food coma!
Doesn’t this pasta dish actually look like you are eating mac and cheese? The white Alfredo sauce is so creamy and delicious, that it looks like melted cheese..
That worked for some of the little ones who didn’t realize that they weren’t eating regular pasta sauce. They liked it so much that they didn’t mind the veggies in it. Yes, that includes the asparagus too.
For this recipe, I used RAGÚ® Pasta Sauce and Barilla® Pasta. I was lucky enough to get a deal at Family Dollar! Right now there is a deal where you can purchase 2 jars of 16-24oz RAGÚ Pasta Sauce and get a free 16oz Barilla Pasta. That was a deal I couldn’t resist!
My biggest dilemma for this recipe was that I couldn’t choose between the RAGÚ Classic Alfredo sauce and the RAGÚ Old World Style Traditional Sauce. Both are my favorite and they work well in a veggie pasta dish.
So, I leave it up to you to choose which sauce to use in this recipe. With the Alfredo sauce, the whole meal had a very comforting feeling. I loved the creaminess that it brought to the pasta dish.
On the other hand, the traditional marinara sauce gave this dish a very traditional Italian feel. I loved how great the veggies worked with the sauce and pasta. Plus, as you know, I have a thing for tomato sauce.
So, this dish is exactly what I needed for a Wednesday dinner.
Related: My Cheesy Garlic Bread will go great with this recipe
Do you prefer the traditional marinara sauce or the creamy Alfredo sauce?
Easy Weeknight Pasta
- 12 pieces Asparagus head only
- 1 red bell pepper cut into long strips
- ¼ red onion cut into long strips
- 1 cup Squash (green and yellow) cut into circular shape
- 6 cloves garlic cut into thin slices
- ½ small eggplant cut into long strips
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt divided into 2
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 cup button mushrooms stems removed
- 2 cup Barilla Elbow Pasta uncooked
- 1.5 cup Ragu Classic Alfredo Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bring 8 cups of water to a boil
- Add the elbow pasta and cook for 12 minutes or until Al Dente
- In a bowl, add all the veggies
- Add the oil, dried spices, garlic and ½ tsp of salt
- Mix well
- Spread veggies on a baking tray and place in oven. Roast for 18 minutes or until brown
- In the same bowl, add the mushrooms. Use the remaining liquid to coat the mushrooms
- Spread mushrooms out in a separate baking tray and roast for 25 minutes or until mushroom are tender
- Remove veggies from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes
- Drain the pasta when done
- In a medium saucepan, add the cooked pasta and veggies
- Add the pasta sauce and mix well
- Heat for about 5 minutes and serve with cheesy garlic bread