Are you wondering what to do with all of those tomatoes in the garden? I have the easiest and most delicious recipe for you today – Homemade Tomato Relish! This is a recipe that has been in my family for years. It is actually my Great Grandma’s Recipe, but wait… I’m getting ahead of myself!
Editors Note: I would like to welcome Debra from bowl-me-over.com who is no stranger to Healing Tomato. She gave us a delicious Tomato Tart With Zucchini Soup Recipe. She is back and this time she has a recipe from her Great Grandma. I am so excited to try this recipe! It looks mouth watering just by looking at the images. Can’t wait to try it
My name is Deb and my blog is Bowl Me Over. On my blog I share delicious recipes that often end up in a bowl, hence the name Bowl Me Over! Thank you Rini for sharing this recipe with your readers.
When my Grandmother passed away, my Aunt was kind enough to give me her old cookbooks and notes. What might look like tatters and notes to some, was a treasure trove of memories to me!
As I was going thru this recipe, I originally thought it was my Grandma’s, but I didn’t recognize the handwriting. After searching thru more records, I realized this is my Great Grandma recipe. This recipe has been in our family for over 100 years!
When I seen it, I thought this would be great recipe to share with Healing Tomato, don’t you agree? Delicious tomatoes, onions and peppers that is a POP of flavor! This recipes uses everyday ingredients that will give you an over-the-top new condiment! Tomato Relish will quickly become a new favorite!
And trust me, you’ll want to double the recipe!
I know this because the first time I made it…. we ate it all. So then I had to make it again and we ate it. In fact, I made it three times before I got a chance to photograph it, it’s that good!
What will you use this delicious Homemade Tomato Relish on?
- Toss it in macaroni salad for an extra added zing!
- Layer it on a toasted bagel with cream cheese, delish!
- Use it as a light salad dressing – it’s really has great flavor!
- Exchange tomato relish for pickles in potato salad – yum!
- Finish off a grilled veggie patty – everyone will be saying WOW that’s good!
- Better yet – enjoy with my Slow Cooker Mushroom Burger!
- Topping grilled vegetables will give them extra flavor.
- Slather on Toast Points
- Serve alongside a delicious Omelet
- Add it to your Egg Salad to give an extra POP!
Whatever you use ketchup or salsa on you can now replace with this amazing recipe!
Here is what you will need –
Tomatoes, onion, a Fresno chili pepper, celery seed, salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar – dice the tomatoes, onions and pepper finely – mix together with the spices. Screw the lid on tightly and let stand overnight and it’s ready to use. Having said that I waited about an hour before trying it – so there’s that! ? I’ve kept in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Homemade Tomato Relish!
Homemade Tomato Relish
- 1 cup tomatoes finely diced
- ½ cup yellow onions finely diced
- ½ Fresno chili pepper or jalapeño pepper finely diced, seeds removed
- ½ tsp celery seeds
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Finely dice the tomatoes and onion.
- Slice the chili pepper in half, remove the ribs and seeds. Finely dice.
- Mix together all of the ingredients. Pour into a small jar and seal. Let stand for at least an hour. Refrigerate any unused portions.
- Keeps in the refrigerator up to two weeks.
Debra Clark blogs over at Bowl Me Over where she shares her love of all things in a bowl! Soups, stews, salads, Buddha bowls, ice cream – you name it! All are delicious and full of flavor. Most are quick, easy and healthy too!