Gnocchi brown buttered in vegan butter and fresh rosemary. Add roasted asparagus + sweet red peppers. Mix with a dirty vinaigrette. It is the best 30 minute vegan meal ever!
Gnocchi and asparagus together! I never thought that it would work so well together
This recipe is now my all time favorite way to eat Gnocchi
I am a huge fan of this Italian favorite and it has a very special place in my heart. It was my first meal I ate at the first Italian Restaurant I could afford after moving to NYC.
Until that day, I had never heard of it and I didn’t even know how to pronounce it. I remember telling the manager that I would like to order, “ga-no-chee with pesto” . He smiled and told me that it was pronounced, “nyo-ki”.
I told him that I am new to NYC and I have never been to a fancy Italian restaurant. He laughed and said that he wished me luck in the “big city”.
I gave him a good tip not only because he was nice to me, but, because the Gnocchi was absolutely delicious. I had no idea that it was made with potatoes.
Over the years, I have made my own gnocchi whenever time permitted. There is nothing quite like fresh gnocchi, but, if you don’t have the time, store bought works just as great.
Most store-bought gnocchi is vegan, so, you can easily use it in vegan recipes. But, I always check the ingredients to be sure. Also, I don’t go for the frozen gnocchi. The dry gnocchi that is vacuum packed is always fresh tasting.
This vegan recipe can be a great dinner recipe or you can eat it as a side meal. I put asparagus and mini sweet peppers with the gnocchi, instead of making it a traditional sauce recipe. To add flavor to the gnocchi, I brown-buttered them in vegan butter, then added them to the roasted veggies. Finally, I topped it with my dirty vinaigrette which takes only 5minutes to make.
So, next time you are looking for a quick dinner or side meal, this vegan gnocchi will take only 30 minutes to make and it is so delicious. I dare anyone to hate asparagus after they have tried this delicious recipe.
Gnocchi is not just for Italian recipes. One of my favorite dinner recipes is my Vegan Mexican Flavored Gnocchi Recipe made in one pan.
The key to this recipe is rosemary because it adds flavor and aroma to every ingredient! It makes all the ingredients more flavorful because I put rosemary right when I added the butter.
The Rosemary is also in the dirty vinaigrette and I even put a few leaves of it when I was roasting the asparagus in the oven. It makes this recipe smell like you are a Tuscan kitchen
Can you imagine the aromatic heaven that was my kitchen when I was making this dish? Make it for yourself and see what I am talking about.
Everything about this recipe is heavenly. I served it to friends who weren’t vegetarian and they loved it! They couldn’t believe that a recipe can taste this good with no meat in it! Getting them to admit that much was a huge victory for me! Maybe there is hope to convert them into part time vegans? I will settle for that!
So, what is your favorite way to make gnocchi?
Gnocchi Pasta With Asparagus And Sweet Peppers
For the recipe
To make the Dirty Vinaigrette
- Break the leaves of fresh rosemary into a bowl
- Add dijon mustard
- Add extra virgin olive oil
- Add balsamic vinegar (or sweet balsamic vinegar)
- Add of pure maple syrup and capers
- Whisk everything together until it is well blended.
To Make the recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Boil 5 cups of water to a boil on the stove
- Cut the asparagus (4 pieces per asparagus)
- Cut red onion into julienne slices
- Cut mini sweet peppers into long strips. Be sure to remove seeds first
- In a bowl, mix add onions, mini sweet peppers, asparagus, extra virgin olive oil, salt and fresh rosemary
- Spread them out on a baking tray and place in oven
- Roast for 7 minutes. Do not over roast the asparagus
- Add the gnocchi to the boiling water
- When veggies are done, remove and let them cool
- In a heavy bottom pan, add butter and rosemary.
- Heat on low heat, until butter has melted
- Add the cooked gnocchi and mix well. Keep mixing to prevent them from sticking.
- When the gnocchi has browned, add the veggies
- Top with about half of the dirty vinaigrette and mix well
- Store the remaining vinaigrette for future use
- Serve immediately.