Falafal Burger – Thank you GoAvo for sponsoring this post
I have had a love affair with falafal. When I want to cheat on tomatoes, I go to falafals. This time, I turned my falafal into a burger and it was the best culinary experience.
If you are looking for a veggie burger recipe for this 4th, this falafal burger is exactly what you need. Trust me, there is nothing quite like a grilled falafal.
For the topping, I found a delicious spread from GoAvo. They make vegan, gluten-free spreads using avocado and it is so much better than mayonnaise.
I went with the chipotle flavored spread to top this burger because it adds just a hint of spice to it. The chick peas blend deliciously with this burger recipe.
I wanted to make sure that this was a very easy burger to make. Who wants to spend hours making a burgers, right? This patty comes together in 15 minutes and 15 minutes to grill!
GoAvo is a great substitute for fattier spreads and even dips. They are made with healthy ingredients and they are so delicious. They are available in Whole Foods Market. Click here to find a location near you. Try their basil flavored spread because it is so heavenly.
Falafal Burger Recipe
Preparation: If you are not going to be using a grill, toast the buns on both sides and set it aside. On the bottom bun, add a kale leaf or a lettuce of your choice. Add two rings of red onions
1) Take 4 sprigs of parsley and place it in your food processor bowl
2) Mince the parsley finely
3) Add 1 Tbsp of cumin powder
4) Add 1 tsp of salt or adjust according to your taste
5) Add 2 cloves of garlic
6) Add a 1/4 cup of roughly chopped onions to the bowl
7) Roast 3 small walnut pieces for 20 seconds on each side and then add it to the processor bowl. Add 2 cups of chick peas to the bowl (canned is fine). Be sure to remove the skin from the chick peas before adding them to the bowl.
8) Add 2 tsp of flax seed meal
9) Add 2 Tbsp of almond milk to the processor bowl
10) Add 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper to the bowl
11) Add 1/2 Tbsp of lime juice
12) Grind the mixture on low speed until everything is blended. Don’t blend it until it is smooth. Keep some of the rough texture
13) Taste it and adjust for flavor
14) Transfer the contents to bowl and make a patty out of it. If you are making a big patty, this mixture will make one. Or, you can get 2 small patties out of this mixture
15) If you have a grill, take it to the grill and grill it like any other burger
16) If you don’t have a grill, take a medium pan and heat it for 1 minute on medium heat
17) Add 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil to the pan and gently place the patty on it
18) Set the heat to low heat and cover it with a heat tolerant bowl that will cover the whole patty
19) Let it cook on one side for about 2 minutes. Remove the bowl and gently flip the burger
20) Cook the other side of the burger the same way. Make sure both sides are well charred
21) The pan will have raised sides, so, rotate the burger on the edge so that the burger sides char also
22) Remove the burger from the pan and place it on the bottom bun.
23) Top the bun with the GoAvo Chipotle spread and close with the top bun
Serve with your favorite beverage or my summer lemonade.