Simple slow cooker vegan bolognese recipe using fresh veggies and red lentils. Serve with spaghetti or penne pasta and serve as a weeknight family dinner
Now that I have a slow cooker, I am addicted to it. There are so many recipes I want to make with it. Just made this blackberry jam recipe using slow cooker. It was absolutely delicious!
I have affectionately named the slow cooker a 3-headed dragon; If I can slow-cook 3 meals in that one crock-pot, it deserves a dragon-y nickname, don’t you think?
This vegan bolognese is only the first of many crock pot recipes. I have Indian, Mexican and rice recipes in mind for this gadget!
For this slow cooker, I used lentils and cauliflower for the texture. It was the best combination in the history of vegan pasta sauces. It also makes this pasta very hearty and wholesome.
I had some meat eaters tell me that they really loved this take on bolognese sauce. It tasted very similar to the real thing.
That was the highest compliment I have ever gotten!
What is your favorite slow cooker recipe?
Slow Cooker Vegan Bolognese Recipe
1) In the slow cooker, add 1 cup of red lentils, uncooked
2) Add 1/4 cup of olive oil
3) Add 1 large eggplant, chopped into smaller pieces. I removed the skin from half of the eggplant. Also add 3 cups of tomato sauce on top of the eggplant
4) Add 1 head of cauliflower roughly chopped. Also, sprinkle 2 tsp of salt on top of the cauliflower
5) Add 6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped. Add 3 cup of water on top of the cauliflower
6) Add 1/4 of an onion finely chopped.
6) Add 2 Tbsp of salt, 1/4 cup of dried oregano and 1/4 cup of dried parsley
7) Top the slow cooker with 3 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
8) Set it on high and let it cook for 9 hours or 11 hours on low. I made sure I stirred it occasionally.
9) When there it half hour left in the cooking process, add uncooked penne to the slow cooker. The pasta needs just a few minutes to cook, so, don’t add it too soon. If you prefer vegan spaghetti bolognese, add uncooked spaghetti 20 minutes left in the cooking time.
Keep it on warm setting and serve this vegan bolognese with garlic bread
Vegan Bolognese In A Slow Cooker
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large eggplant Skin removed and roughly chopped
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cauliflower (medium-sized)
- 6 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 3 cup water
- 1/4 onion finely diced
- 2 Tbsp salt + 2 more tsp of salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup dried oregano
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 3 Roma tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1.5 cup penne pasta uncooked
- In the slow cooker, add all the ingredients (except the pasta) in the order listed above
- Set it on high and let it cook for 9 hours or 11 hours on low. I made sure I stirred it occasionally.
- When there it half hour left in the cooking process, add uncooked penne to the slow cooker. *** See notes
- Keep it on warm setting and serve this vegan bolognese with garlic bread