Quick and very easy recipe for tomato flavored gourmet kettle corn popcorn. Takes less than 15 minutes to make and tastes wonderful. I used tomato powder to mix with the popcorn
Lately, I have been looking for gourmet comfort foods and discovered that popcorn definitely fits the category.
Popcorn has been around for so long that its origin year actually contains the letter “B.” and “C.”. Ancient pre-Peruvians used it as gifts.
These days, the buzz word is Kettle Corn. It is considered the healthier version of popcorn because it is made at with a lot less butter. Plus, when made at home, we can control the sweetness or saltiness according to our tastes.
With my love for putting tomatoes into every recipe, I decided that kettle corn should be no different.
“What would Tomato flavored gourmet kettle corn popcorn taste like?”
With that simple question, the experiment began.
I started with tomato oil but that didn’t flavor the popcorn at all. In fact, it made it a little soggy. I tried using actual tomatoes in the pan while the kernels were popping. Needless to say, that ended in disaster.
After several experiments, I discovered that using tomato powder actually makes the kettle corn tastes super terrific. Additionally, I added a little sugar to it. The sweet and sour kettle corn is unlike anything found on the market.
I finally had my Tomato-Flavored Gourmet Kettle Corn Popcorn!
Ok, that is too long to say, so, I will just call it “tomato-flavored popcorn”.
Tomato powder can be purchased online, large retail stores and spice shops tend to sell tomato powder. The powder is easy to make, however, using a dehydrator is a long, complicated process and we just don’t have the patience for it.
Wikihow, on the other hand, shows you 8 very quick and easy steps on how to make Tomato powder. You don’t have to worry about spending hours trying to make it. It gets done in about 1 hour
My whole kitchen was filled with the wonderful aroma of tomato-flavored popcorn. It was consumed in a matter of minutes and I was in a tomato-induced comma.
I also have a nutty crazy popcorn recipe that you will love.
Tomato Flavored Gourmet Kettle Corn Popcorn
Tomato-Flavored Gourmet Kettle Corn Popcorn
- Mix the Salt, sugar and tomato powder
- Melt the butter in the microwave
- In a large pan, add the oil
- Turn the heat on and keep it at medium. Don't wait for the oil to get hot
- Add the butter and cinnamon stick
- Add the kernels
- Add the tomato powder mixture to the pan
- Stir quickly and then close the lid
- You will hear the Kernels popping almost immediately
- Open the lid just a little and stir making sure that the tomato powder doesn't stick at the bottom of the pan
- Once the kernels pop at a slower frequency, remove from heat and let it continue popping on its own
- Serve it immediately or store in a dry container for use later