Crazy Nutty Popcorn
We all know the importance of eating nuts as part of our daily diet. However, I am one of those people who has to be force fed nuts. You cannot get me to eat nuts, come what may!
Over the years, family members have found creative ways to get me to eat any kind of nuts. I have found nuts in my curries, fruit smoothies, toast, soups and salads.
Someday, I will tell you about the time a family member put nuts in my soft drink. Quick tip: next time you drink cola, make sure you check for walnuts in it before drinking.
One of my favorite way to include nuts in my diet was in popcorn. This was a pleasant surprise. A few months ago, we had a movie night and I found myself eating a whole bag of the popcorn with nuts. There were more nuts than popcorn, but, I barely noticed that.
Now, I always eat my popcorn with nuts. The popcorn itself is on the healthier side. I always use Orville Redenbacher’s Gourmet Naturals Popcorn, Simply Salted. It is lightly salted and has very little butter. It is also light and fluffy, plus it is made with whole wheat. Alternatively, you can always use kettle corn.
It is nice to use popped popcorn for this recipe, because you don’t have to do too much work. Although, I wish I had access to a popcorn machine.
The next time you are looking for movie popcorn, I suggest you try this crazy, nutty popcorn. I consider it a guilt-free snack!
What is your favorite way to eat popcorn?
Make Crazy, Nutty Popcorn
1) Microwave one bag of popcorn as per the instructions on the bag. I use Orville Redenbacher’s Naturals.
2) While the popcorn is popping, place the 2 cups of mixed nuts in a bowl
3) Pour 1 tsp of melted butter on the nuts. I use Earth Balance’s Vegan butter. Toss well
4) Add the popped popcorn to the bowl and toss again
5) Sprinkle 1 tsp of nutmeg on the popcorn (optional)
Consume this nutty popcorn immediately
Crazy Nutty Popcorn
- - 1 packet of microwave popcorn. Use one that is lightly salted , whole wheat and light on butter
- - 1 can of mixed nuts (about 2 cups)
- - 1 tsp of nutmeg powder (optional)
- - 1 tsp of melted butter (I use Earth Balance's vegan butter)
- - Microwave the popcorn as per the instructions on the bag
- - While the popcorn is popping, place the nuts in a bowl
- - Pour the melted popcorn over the nuts and toss
- - Add the popped popcorn to the bowl and toss well
- - Sprinkle the nutmeg on the popcorn
- Consume this nutty popcorn immediately