Green Tomato Crumble Pie – Tomato Desserts are a thing! Here is a tomato dessert using green tomatoes. Made with 4 ingredients only and ready in 30 minutes
Oh my gosh, can. you believe I made a tomato pie?
And using green tomatoes?
I am still pinching myself and I devour this scrumptious pie!
Last year, I made a tomato galette. I love celebrating anniversaries with tomatoes and this anniversary is no exception.
For this anniversary, I went with tomatoes in a dessert recipe. It was inspired by a post I did a few months ago. I wrote a collection of tomato dessert which included some AMAZING tomato desserts from around the web.
So, I knew that I was going to make a tomato dessert!
To make it easy, I used store bought pie crusts. They are easier than making my own pie crust. But, it you are inclined, you make your very own pie crusts at home.
Fresh green tomatoes are always in season, so , this recipe is perfect to make any time of the year. I am planning on serving it for Thanksgiving. I want to see the look of surprise on my friends’ faces when they realize that the scrumptious pie they just ate was made with tomatoes
What does Green Tomato Pie Taste Like?
Green tomato crumble pie tastes just like granny smith apple pie in many ways. They have the same sour flavor when you bite into it. Granny smiths are sweeter than green tomatoes, which is why I added a little extra sugar to this recipe
Trust me, you will love this green tomato pie’s simplicity and flavor.
Have you tasted green tomato pie before?
Is Green Tomato Crumble Pie Vegan?
I used some regular butter instead of vegan butter when I first tried it out. I also used regular brown sugar for the testing phase.
July 1st, 2018 Update. Since this recipe has gone live, I have experimented with vegan ingredients. The recipe card below has been updated with vegan ingredients and work really well with all the other items in the recipe
The pie crust is vegan, too. My local Publix has vegan, GF pie crust, so, you should be able to find it in your local grocery store too.
If you can’t find it in your local store, making it at home is really easy. Here is my recipe for vegan pie crust that is super easy to make at home
I also have a vegan butternut squash dessert pie recipe which is made using butternut squash puree and fall seasonings. Its is so delicious!
What is your favorite crumble pie recipe?
How To Make Green Tomato Crumble Pie
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2) Take 8 medium sized green tomatoes and cut them into thin slices
3) Melt 2 tsp of vegan butter
4) Place the green tomatoes inside the pie crust and use a baster to glaze the top of the tomatoes. I made 2 pies, so, there are about 4 green tomatoes per pie. In one, I cut off the edges, but, you don’t have to.
5) Place the pies and tomatoes inside the oven and let them bake for no more than 10 minutes. If you see the tomatoes browning on the top, they are ready to be removed from the oven (missing photo)
Making the crumble top for the pie
6) While the green tomatoes are in the oven, assemble the crumble ingredients. In a bowl, add one cup of vegan brown sugar.
7) Add one cup of sifted, unbleached self rising flour.
8) Take one stick of vegan butter and cut it into pieces. Add this into this bowl.
9) Add the vanilla essence and ground cinnamon. Mix well. (missing photo)
Assemble the pie
10) Remove the pies from the oven and let them cool for about 5 minutes. Top with the crumble mixture and place them in the oven again for about 25 minutes or until the top is browned. (missing photo)
11) Remove from the oven and allow it too cool. It took me about 3 hours to cool it completely.
Cut and serve this green tomato crumble pie by itself or with ice cream.
Green Tomato Crumble Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Take 8 medium sized green tomatoes and cut them into thin slices
- Melt 2 tsp of butter
- Place the green tomatoes inside the pie crust (about 4 slices per pie)
- Brush the top of the tomatoes with melted butter
- Place the pies and tomatoes inside the oven and let them bake for 10 minutes
- While the green tomatoes are in the oven, add one cup of brown sugar in a bowl
- Sift the flour into the same bowl
- Cut the stick of butter into pieces and add to bowl
- Add the vanilla essence and ground cinnamon. Mix well
- Remove the pies from the oven and let them cool for about 5 minutes.
- Top the pies with the crumble mixture
- Place pies in the oven again for about 25 minutes or until the top is browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow it too cool completely (about 3 hours)
- Cut and serve by itself or with ice cream.