Vegan Feta Cheese – This is an easy way to make vegan feta cheese. Now, vegan food can be made even more delicious with this quick and simple feta recipe. Perfect for meatless recipes & vegetarian recipes.
I have been meaning to post this how-to recipe for homemade vegan feta cheese, but, I kept changing and experimenting with different ingredients. My ultimate goal was to get the perfect blend of sour and spice.
Now, I think I have finally found the right ingredients. The main ingredient I have added was spicy peppers. I went with Thai chili and habanero. It may sound like it will be a very spicy feta cheese but it really wasn’t. The peppers added just the perfect amount of spice, so, don’t be afraid of the peppers.
The base of this vegan feta cheese is extra firm tofu. The tofu is very close in consistency with feta cheese, so, it is perfect ingredient.
How To Make Vegan Feta Cheese
1) Take 1 extra firm tofu block (14oz) and drain the liquid from it. Place a paper napkin on a plate and place the tofu block on it.
2) Place another napkin on top and place a chopping board on it. Add some heavy weight on top of the chopping board. Set it aside for 30 minutes
3) Cut + de-seed 2 Thai chili and 1 green habanero pepper. Place them in a bowl.
4) Juice one lime and add it to the bowl (1/4 cup)
5) Add 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar to the bowl
6) Add 1/4 cup of fresh parsley to the bowl
7) Add 1/2 tsp of sea salt
8) Add 1/2 tsp of black pepper
9) Add 1/2 tsp of dried oregano
10) Add 1/2 cup of water. I added another 1/2 cup at the end again.
11) Add a pinch of garlic powder
12) Mix well and set it aside. Cut the tofu into cubes and place them in the bowl
14) Shake the bowl to cover the tofu with the liquid. I try not to touch the tofu much because it will crumble before it has time to marinate.
15) Let the tofu marinate for at least 2 hours before using it. I place the tofu in a glass jar and let it marinate in the refrigerator. It will stay in the fridge for about a week.
I have tried making vegan cheese before like this vegan buffalo mozzarella recipe and it came out pretty good. My next experiment is going to make a vegan pepper jack cheese.
This feta cheese goes great in meatless recipes, that is given. However, I would love to know how it will taste in non-meatless recipes.