How to Make Basmati Rice Like They do in Indian restaurants? It is Very Simple to Make and the Rice Cooks in Less than 30 Minutes.
I am basmati rice snob and a connoisseur. Everything about basmati rice makes me happy and the perfectly cooked rice is not very hard to do.
One of the best things about Indian restaurants is the free rice
I haven’t been to an Indian restaurant in the US that doesn’t serve free rice with your main course meals
Restaurant Style Rice
Ever wonder why they serve free rice? I was given 2 reasons for it:
The first reason is that they are made in bulk, so, it costs them about $1 per day to make the rice. For this reason, they can give it away for free.
The second reason is probably the better reason.. Restaurants think that if they give you free rice, you will eat more entrees. Since entrees are where they make the most of their profit, it is a fruitful tactic.
So, the next time you are looking to make easy dinner recipes, try this basmati rice technique. Also, if you have a rice pudding recipe, use this method of cooking rice. Your pudding will turn out nice and soft.
Serve it with my palak makhani recipe.
After seeing these steps you will never have to wonder, “How to make basmati rice?”
How To Make Basmati Rice Without Cooker
Here are step-by-step instructions on how to cook basmati rice Indian style.
1) For this recipe, I am going to use 1 cup of basmati rice. It usually serves 2-3 people
2) First, we need to wash / rinse the rice. In a medium sauce pan, add 1 cup of Basmati rice. Place the pan under your kitchen tap and fill it with water. There is no measurement for this because we are rinsing the rice. I like to fill it about half way through.
3) Using your fingers, gently stir the rice and water. You will notice that the water will get cloudy. That is a good thing. It means that the rice was packaged right after harvesting. Tilt the pan and remove as much of the water as you can. It’s ok to leave some water in it.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 again. Personally, I like to rinse it the rice three times, but, two times is sufficient
5) Once rinsed, we now add water that will be used for cooking the rice. The general ratio rule is 1:5. For every cup of rice, add 5 cups of water.
6) Place the pan on high heat. Add the cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and ghee or oil.
7) Stir frequently so that the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom. I like to use a fork to stir because it fluffs the rice.
8) When the rice grains have doubled in size (about 15-20 min), your rice is ready to be taken off the heat.
9) Next comes the removal of excess water. I like to use a nylon strainer because it catches all the rice. If you don’t have it, use a colander or any strainer with holes that are tiny.
10) Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy with curry or other meals
So, this is how to make basmati rice. Its very quick, easy and fluffy way to make it for dinner
Learn more about Basmati Rice on Wikipedia.
How To Make Basmati Rice (Restaurant Style)
- In a medium sauce pan, add 1 cup of Basmati rice
- Place the pan under your kitchen tap and fill it halfway with water
- Using your fingers, gently stir the rice and water.
- Tilt the pan and remove as much of the water as you can. It’s ok to leave some water in it.
- Repeat steps 2 to 4 two more times. The water will be less cloudy at the third time
- Once washed, we now add water that was set aside for cooking
- Place the pan on high heat.
- Add the cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and ghee or oil.
- Stir frequently so that the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom
- When the rice grains have doubled in size (about 15 min), turn off heat
- Using a strainer, strain the rice to remove excess water
- Use a fork to stir the rice in the strainer to make it fluffy
- Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy