A simple Indian cucumber salad with onions, radishes, mangoes in a spicy lime sauce known as Kachumber – Version 2
Continuing my ode to Indian food, today, I am bringing you a salad I grew up eating, but, I make it with a twist
I made this with Mangoes which are in season now and I can’t wait to make several recipes using these delicious fruits!
Tips for making salad
- Don’t make this salad in advance. Make it about 30 minutes or less before you are ready to serve. It will get soggy
- I used the “Honey” mango variety of mangoes, but, you can use any mango type
- Choose a slightly ripe mango. When you press on the outside of the mango, it makes a slight dent, but, re-gains its shape immediately
- Traditionally, the onions are diced, but, I highly recommend cutting them in Julienne style
- I use both Thai green chili and red chili powder because I am a spice freak! But, you can use as much or as little spice as you can handle. If you can’t handle spicy food, choose either the Thai chili or the red chili powder
- This recipe calls for only one radish, but, if you can easily add one more
- If your mango is not sweet enough, you can add 1 tsp of maple syrup to the lime juice before mixing it with the salad
- Don’t skip on the cilantro in this recipe. It adds so much flavor to the kachumber
- Serve it with the main course meal and not as a pre-meal salad. That’s how we normally eat this salad.
Common questions about this cucumber salad
How do you pronounce Kachumber (AKA Cachumber)?
Break it into 3 syllables – “KA” – is pronounced as “ka” like in company, “Chum” – is pronounced as “chum” as in “chummy” and finally, ber is pronounced as “burr” as in “BURR, its cold out there!
So, that’s how you say Kachumber! Hope this helps!
Can I make this salad with yogurt?
Yes, you can add yogurt to the recipe. However, don’t add any lime or lemon juice to it. For this recipe, add about 1/4 cup of yogurt, and about 1 Tbsp of water. Mix it before adding to the cucumber salad
Is this a traditional Gujrati Kachumber?
This is a twist on the traditional Gujrati kacumber. Mango is not commonly added to the salad, but, I added it because I love the sweet and spice flavors in it.
Can I make this salad in advance?
No, don’t make this kachumber salad more than 30 minutes before you are ready to eat it. The reason is that it will get soggy. If you want to make it ahead, chop all the ingredients and store them separately. When you are ready to make it, assemble all the ingredients and serve
What does kachumber mean?
Kachumber is basically a haphazard chopping of ingredients, which is how its normally made. All the ingredients are chopped roughly and mixed together with very little fuss
What other ingredients can I add to it?
- Chaat masala
- Roasted butternut squash
- Bell pepper
What to serve with this cucumber salad
This salad is normally eaten alongside main course Indian meals. Here are some of my favorites to serve alongside this cucumber salad
Version One of this Kachumber Salad (Radish Salsa)
This was one of my very early recipes that I made for my blog way back in 2013! Originally published on December 3rd, 2013 at 12:55pm. Link to my original recipe on Wayback Machine
As you can see from the image, it was in desperate need of an update!! The images are just too embarrassing to be shown anymore!
Also, in those early days, I was adamant to not call it an “Indian Recipe” because I really wanted to focus on non-Indian recipes. So, I called it a radish salsa recipe, lol!!
I kept all the main ingredients the same, but, added a mango to the refreshed version.
What do you think of the new recipe?
If you try this recipe, be sure to rate it below and send me pics. I am always happy to hear from my readers.
How to Make Kachumber
- Take a fresh, clean bowl
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl and mix well
- Set aside for no more than 30 minutes
- Serve with the main course meal