This Vegan Mexican Gnocchi Recipe is the perfect comfort food! Follow this simple recipe for a quick and easy one-pot weeknight dinner meal for the whole family!
Have you ever had one of those days where you just have to have a huge comforting meal?
A meal loaded with pasta and beans in a heavy sauce?!
I find myself craving the heavy comfort meals mid-week and it’s always fun trying to come up with a good combination of these ingredients.
Tips for making it
This time around, I decided to go with Mexican cuisine and instead of heavy creams, I simply opted for coconut milk. I tried several pasta recipes, but, finally settled on my favorite.
Vegan gnocchi recipes have proven to be so popular because it’s so comforting. The first time I used gnocchi on my blog, I made them from scratch in this vegan potato gnocchi recipe.
The second time I used it in a vegan gnocchi version with asparagus, I used store bought gnocchi.
This time, I went with store bought too because I wanted to make it easy for you (and me) to make this for a weeknight dinner, especially on a day when you are really busy.
The cool thing about these gnocchi is that they are the mini version! They are so cute, aren’t they? They are barely bigger than a dime. When cooked, they are just slightly bigger, yet, soft and fluffy.
This is, hands down, the best gnocchi recipe ever. The gnocchi sauce is a mix of enchilada sauce and coconut milk. When cooked, it gives this recipe a nice reddish hue which is the ideal comfort food color!
To make this recipe, just saute onions and red bell pepper and then throw in all the other ingredients. Cover it and cook for about 10 minutes and voila! The meal is ready!
In under 30 minutes, you will have a simple Mexican gnocchi recipe that the whole family can enjoy.
Can they be frozen?
Yes, I would say you can freeze them, but, there is a catch. To reheat them, I recommend you follow these steps. First, DO NOT THAW the container. Just thaw them enough to transfer to a sauce pan and then start re-heating them on low heat. Add some coconut milk to the mixture while it’s heating. When it has melted, turn the heat to medium and let it heat for about 5-7 minutes before serving
If you like vegan Mexican food, I have even more Mexican recipes that will please anyone’s palette!
So, what to serve with this Mexican gnocchi? Personally, I loved it just by itself. I would like to try putting it in a tortilla or even in hard tacos.
How do you plan to eat these vegan gnocchi recipe?
Related – Mexican Hot Chocolate Popsicles
Vegan Mexican Gnocchi Recipe
- 2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup red onions finely chopped
- ½ cup bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 plum tomato roughly chopped
- 1 can black beans
- ¼ cup sweet corn Do not thaw if using frozen
- 2 Tbsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cups mini gnocchi
For the garnish
- ½ cup cilantro finely chopped
- ½ avocado finely chopped
- ¼ cup red onion finely chopped
- ½ lime freshly squeezed
- 1 jalapeno optional
- In a bowl, mix the coconut milk, enchilada sauce and taco seasoning. Set aside
- Heat a pan for 30 seconds on medium heat, then add the oil
- Add the onions and let them soften (about 1 minute)
- Add the bell pepper and let them soften (about 1 minute)
- Add all the remaining ingredients
- Add the sauce mixture and mix well
- Cover the pan and let it cook on low to medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the gnocchi are soft
- While the gnocchi are cooking, mix all the ingredients for the garnish
- When the gnocchi is done cooking, turn off the heat
- Top with the garnish and serve