Healthy pull-apart eggplant recipe is the perfect appetizer because it is quick and easy to make. The eggplant is baked and topped with marinara, green onions & mushroom sauce
Eggplant and I have a complicated relationship.
But, when I made my eggplant curry, it just didn’t want to behave. All I could get is a mushy, bitter taste. I remember that I had to try 3 different types of eggplants before I finally perfected that recipe.
I liked making this pull-apart version of eggplant. Instead of making a cheese version of this recipe, I decided to make a savory version.
The recipe is very easy to make and I love using marinara sauce in this recipe. There are mushrooms in it too.
So, what is your favorite eggplant recipe
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2) Take about 6 mushrooms and slice them very thinly lengthwise
3) Finely chop 2 cloves of garlic
4) Chop one sprig of green onion
5) Finely chop 1/4 of a red onion
6) In a pan, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and add the garlic
7) Heat at medium heat and add the red onions after 30 seconds
8) When the onions caramelize, add the mushrooms and let them stir fry for about 7 minutes. Be sure to stir frequently so that it doesn’t stick to the pan
9) When the mushrooms have shrunk to 1/2 their size and are very soft, add 1/2 cup of your favorite marinara sauce. Alternatively, you can use my marinara sauce.
10) Add 1/4 cup of water
11) Add the 1/8 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp oregano and fresh Rosemary
12) Let it stew for about 7-10 minutes until most of the water has burnt off
13) Add 1/4 cup of chopped green onions
14) While the sauce is cooking, clean a medium sized eggplant and dry it off
15) Make long cuts in the eggplant. The cut will be lengthwise and it will be shallow. Do this all around the eggplant
16) Next, make shallow horizontal cuts
17) Gently pour the sauce mixture in between the pieces. Wrap the eggplant in aluminum foil and place it on a baking tray
18) Place tray in the oven (middle rack) and bake for about 25-30minutes. Turn off the heat and let the eggplant sit in the oven for another 15 minutes
19) Remove from the oven and carefully remove the foil.
Transfer the pull-apart eggplant to a serving dish, garnish with curly parsley and devour immediately
Pull-Apart Eggplant Recipe With Marinara Sauce
- 6 mushrooms thinly slicedm lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1 sprig green onion finely diced
- 1/4 red onion finely diced
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 1 eggplant medium-sized
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup spring onions for garnish
- Curly parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Heat a pan on medium heat, then add olive oil and garlic.
- Add the red onions and let them caramelize
- Add mushrooms and let them stir fry for about 7 minutes or until they are half their size
- Add your favorite marinara sauce or make my recipe
- Add water, salt, oregano and Rosemary
- Let it stew for about 7-10 minutes until most of the water has evaporated
- Add chopped green onion and mix well
- While the sauce is cooking, clean a medium sized eggplant and dry it off
- Make long, shallow cuts in the eggplant, lengthwise.
- Next, make shallow horizontal cuts
- Gently pour the sauce mixture in between the pieces
- Wrap the eggplant in aluminum foil and place it on a baking tray
- Place tray in the oven (middle rack) and bake for about 25-30minutes
- Turn off the heat and let the eggplant sit in the oven for another 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven and carefully remove the foil
- Serve immediately