Sweet and Sour Vegetables is a very hearty meal that is vegan friendly. The Cauliflower and Broccoli are roasted, giving this meal a smokey flavor.
Before I begin, I just want to share a little anecdote about this recipe. It is one of my strangest, yet, bravest moments of my life.
There was a Chinese fast-food restaurant in Queens, NYC. They had many good vegetarian recipes on their menu, but, no sweet and sour recipe for vegetarians.
So, when I felt that I had “perfected” my sweet and sour vegetables recipe, I walked into that Chinese restaurant in Queens. With my chin held high, I offered to sell my sweet and sour recipe to them for a “reasonable” 4-figure sum.
In those days, I was really trying hard to get out of my shell, so, I took this opportunity to better my selling skills. For me to walk into that restaurant, it took every bit of courage and strength I could muster.
I think I must have changed my mind several times before finally marching into that restaurant and make my offer.
Needless to say, they laughed me out of the restaurant. Since I couldn’t understand Chinese I, thankfully, walked away without understanding any of their insults.
I am sure you have already figured out that what happened next……
A couple months after that humbling experience, I noticed a sweet and sour vegetarian Lo Mein recipe on their menu! At first, I was angry that they stole my idea without giving me credit for it.
Eventually, I was kind of proud of my tiny accomplishment and even flattered beyond words that they choose to add a sweet and sour recipe on their menu.
Ultimately, I want to believe that it was their most popular vegetarian recipe.
I found that the trick to a good sweet and sour sauce is the pineapple. More specifically, it was pineapple juice that gave the sauce the right amount of sweetness.
Also, I roasted pineapple chunks and then mixed them with other roasted vegetables. This makes for a smokey flavored vegetables.
The end results were nothing short of delicious comfort food heaven! This sweet and sour vegetables recipe is my favorite go-to dinner recipe.
I like to eat the noodles with rice noodles, but, my family likes eating them with basmati rice. You can serve it with brown rice or lo mein noodles
What is your favorite Chinese vegetarian meal?
Recipe for Sweet and Sour Vegetables
Sweet and Sour Vegetables
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 cup pineapple juice (fresh or from can)
- 4 tsp corn starch
- ½ cup tomato sauce unsalted
- ½ cup water
- 4 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
For the Vegetables
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- ½ cup pineapple chunks
- ½ cup red onions cubed
- 1 red pepper cubed
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil for roasting the vegetables
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil for stir frying
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 3 Thai Chili
- 2 tsp agave
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, add the cauliflower and broccoli
- Add the EVOO, salt and black pepper. Mix well
- Place the cauliflower and broccoli on a baking sheet
- Roast for about 20 minutes
- In a separate bowl, mix the pineapple chunks and agave
- Place the pineapple in a baking tray and roast them for 10 minutes
- Set the vegetables aside
- In a bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients together. Mix well and make sure there are no lumps
- In a stir fry pan, add the EVOO and heat on low for about 20 seconds
- Add the onions and stir fry them until they are slightly caramelized
- Add the red bell pepper and fry them for a few minutes, until the skin crinkles
- Add the sweet and sour sauce.
- Let the sauce thicken a little, but, stir frequently (about 5 minutes)
- Add the cauliflower, broccoli and pineapple to the mixture
- Stir well and let it cook for about 5-7 minutes. Keep stirring so that it doesn't stick at the bottom
- Remove and serve over glass noodles or lo mein noodles
- Mini Corn
- Snap peas
- French beans
- Green Peppers
- Red Pepper Flakes