Make this hearty vegan orzo soup when you are looking for easy soup recipes. It is a healthy soup recipe that is perfect comfort food for cold winter nights
It is soup season, even Florida. The weather has be rainy and dreary all week. I am in the mood for some hot and hearty soup.
Vegan Orzo soup is exactly what the doctor ordered.
So, I began rummaging through my pantry and find Orzo sitting pretty on the shelf. I just made stuffed portobello mushrooms where they were the star of the recipe. Now, they were staring at me to make them the star of another recipe.
And that is how this vegan orzo soup came into existence.
The carrots bring a heavy dose of Vitamin A to this recipe. The Spinach brings the iron and tomatoes bring happiness. If you are looking for easy soup recipes, you cannot go wrong with this Vegan Orzo soup.
I am really excited for you to try this recipe. Sure, I have made creamy soups before like my sweet potato soup and my tomato soup. However, this is the first soup on my blog that is a vegetable soup recipe. I have a feeling that there may be more healthy soup recipes coming on the blog.
What is your favorite soup to make this fall season?
Vegan Orzo Soup Recipe
1) In a pan, add 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Alternatively, you can put all the ingredients into a slow cooker.
2) Add a 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds and heat for 20 seconds
3) Add 3 cloves of garlic that are roughly chopped
4) Add 1 cup of white onions that are roughly chopped and saute for a about 30 seconds
5) Add 2/3 cup of baby carrots, roughly chopped
6) Add 1/2 tsp of salt and stir
7) Add 1 cup of frozen spinach. No need to thaw it.
8) Add 1/2 cup of Chick peas. I used Chick peas from a can but they were thoroughly drained and washed
9) Add 2/3 cups of uncooked orzo
10) Add 2 cans of tomato sauce. I used two 8 oz cans of unsalted tomato sauce
11) Add 4 cups of water and mix well. Lower the heat to medium-low.
12) Add 1/2 Tbsp of dried basil, dried oregano and dried parsley.
13) I added 1/2 tsp of dried mint too. If you don’t like mint, you can omit this ingredient.
14) Add 1/2 tsp of salt
15) Add 1/2 Tbsp of Cayenne pepper. This is optional and you can use as much or as little as you want.
16) Add 1/4 tsp of ground pepper
17) Simmer for 1 hour or until the orzo have doubled in size. Be sure to stir it often.
18) Remove from heat and add 2 tsp of lime juice. Serve immediately.
This soup doesn’t taste as amazing as it was when freshly made. This recipe makes about 6 bowls.
Orzo Soup Recipe (Vegan)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 cup white onions roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup baby carrots roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen spinach Do not thaw
- 1/2 cup Chick peas from a can
- 2/3 cups uncooked orzo
- 2 can tomato sauce
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp dried parsley.
- 1/2 tsp dried mint too (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp lime juice
- In a pan, add the olive oil. Alternatively, you can put all the ingredients into a slow cooker.
- Add cumin seeds and heat for 20 seconds
- Add onions and garlic. Saute for about 30 seconds
- Add baby carrots, frozen spinach and salt. Stir
- Add Chick peas, orzo and tomato sauce. Cook for about a minute
- Add water and mix well. Lower the heat to medium-low
- Add mint (if using) dried basil, dried oregano and dried parsley
- Add salt, cayenne pepper and ground pepper
- Simmer for 1 hour or until the orzo have doubled in size, stirring often
- Remove from heat and add lime juice
- Serve immediately