How do You Make Tofu Delicious? Marinate Them in Indian Spices and Oven Roast Them! This Delicious Tandoori Tofu Appetizers are a Great Starter Recipe to Any Indian Feast.
I bet there have been many times you have stared at a Tofu slab and wondered, “How to cook with tofu?”
Or, my favorite question:
“How do I make tofu taste delicious?”
Well, if you like anything Tandoori, you will LOOOOVE this recipe.
The recipe is easy to make and the spices can easily be found at your local Indian Grocery Store. Also, Amazon sells the spices online, so, you have no excuse!
I am one of those people who love Tandoori food.
Actually, let me be a little more descriptive!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE tandoori food.
That shouldn’t surprise anyone. I am Indian which makes me genetically predisposed to liking tandoori food.
You can choose to mix any vegetables with the tofu. Cauliflower, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, even small cabbage cubes will work great with this recipe. The sky is your limit!
I don’t have a tandoori oven, so, I had to make do with my regular oven. If you have a tandoori oven, use that and know that I am very jealous of you!
So, do you have a favorite way to make tofu?
Version 1 of this recipe
Did you do a double take?
Occasionally, I will revisit previous recipes and do a makeover on them. You probably came to this page based on this photo. It was made with vegan mayo. However, I decided to revamp the recipe and bring you the new version you see above. I think you will like.
Need a side dish to go with your Tandoor Tofu? Serve up these easy Roasted Chick Peas for a great Indian side dish!
How To Make Tandoori Tofu Skewers
Tandoori Tofu Skewers (Spicy)
To Make The Marinade:
- 1½ cup Yogurt Use whole milk, plain yogurt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tofu block Extra Firm, Pressed and cubed
- 1 plum tomato pureed
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp ajwan seeds adjust to your taste
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder adjust to your taste
- 1 tsp salt adjust to your taste
- 1½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Soak 6 bamboo skewers in warm water for 10 minutes
Prepare the tofu
- Remove the tofu from the water and shake off all the extra water
- Weigh it down for 15 minutes to remove all the water
- Discard any water and cut tofu into 1″ cubes
Make The Marinade
- In a mixing bowl, add the yogurt, pureed tomato and water. Mix well
- Add all the spices for the marinade and set aside
- Add the tofu to the marinade and mix gently
- Allow the tofu to marinade at least 30min. Marinate it overnight, if possible
Making the Tandoori Tofu Skewers
- Take one skewer and spray with veggie spray (optional)
- Skewer each bamboo stick with 4 tofu cubes.
- Lightly spray a baking tray with veggie oil
- Place the tofu skewers on the tray. Keep about ½" distance between each
- Brush some of the marinade on the skewers and place the baking sheet in the oven
- After 10 minutes, flip the skewers and baste. Bake for 10 minutes or until brown
- Remove from the oven and allow the skewers to cool for 5 minutes