This veggie pasta dish made from red lentil noodles is the perfect base for a grilled vegetables pasta dinner. Mixed with a simple vegan butter sauce and herbs, this pasta is a fun recipe to make for weeknight dinner.
Disclosure – This post was originally sponsored by Barilla but the content and opinions expressed here are my own. This post was originally published on January 30th, 2019 and updated on April 14th, 2021.
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Pasta Recipe
As vegetarian pasta dishes go, this is an extremely delicious and satisfying option! The best way to showcase this pasta is with a whole bunch of grilled veggies. Together, the pasta and veggies make for a very colorful and flavorful veggie pasta recipe.
This veggie pasta dish is a great way to add protein to my vegan diet and its also a great way to get my veggies for the day.
I went with cucumbers, mini sweet peppers, julienne beets, colorful cherry tomatoes, avocado, red onions, radishes and topped with tangy capers!
Whew! That’s a lot of ingredients, but, I assure you that they are all worth the grilling.
???? What About the Sauce?
I am glad you asked that question. 🙂
Vegan butter with fresh herbs and sun-dried tomatoes drizzled over red lentil pasta and grilled vegetables! Need I say more?
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
What veggies can I add to pasta?
For this recipe, I suggest using cucumbers, peppers, onions, beets, tomatoes, radishes, and some avocado, but there are a number of other veggies that would be great in this veggie pasta dish! Broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, artichokes, or any kind of squash would taste absolutely fantastic!
What can I add to pasta if I have no sauce?
Something simple like butter or oil with some grated or shredded cheese is a great and easy option! You could also toss in some herbs for a burst of flavor, or even make a quick sauce by heating some butter and cream in a saucepan. Of course, you could also chop up some veggies and stir them into your pasta as well!
Is pasta made with vegetables healthy?
Absolutely! Especially if you use a lower-carb pasta, like something whole grain or a pasta like this red lentil rotini. All of the delicious vegetables provide great nutrients, and in moderation the carbs from pasta help give you great energy!
???? Tips for Making This Pasta
- Use cooking spray to grill the veggies. It will grill them perfectly without an oily taste.
- This pasta doesn’t freeze well, so, make it on the day you are going to consume it. The grilled veggies will retain their fresh taste.
- Add the buttery sauce about 30 minutes before you are going to serve it. This will give it a chance to marinate all the ingredients.
- You can use any fresh veggies that you have in you refrigerator. The vegan pasta will blend well with any veggie.
- Don’t forget the capers! They add a delicious tang to the is recipe and it really brings out the flavors of the red lentil pasta itself.
???? More Vegetarian Pasta Dishes
If this veggie pasta dish has you craving even more vegetarian pasta dishes, take a look at some of these tasty options!
- Lemon Orzo Pasta
- Tuscan Fettuccine Pasta
- Penne Pasta with Mushrooms
- Vegan Orecchiette Pasta with Basil Pesto
What are your thoughts on vegan/vegetarian pasta? I would love to hear your thoughts about it, so please comment below!
How To Make this Veggie Pasta Dish with Grilled Veggies
⭐️ If you tried and enjoyed this vegan pasta dish, please rate it 5 stars! Thanks for stopping by Healing Tomato! ⭐️
Vegan Pasta With Grilled Veggies
For the Pasta
- 1 cup red lentil pasta uncooked
- 1/4 tsp salt
- water to boil the pasta
For The Grilled Veggies
- 1/2 cucumber cut into half rounds
- 4 mini sweet peppers de-seeded and cut into halves
- 1/4 red onion julienne
- 1/4 cup beets julienne, from a can
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved, I used different colored tomatoes
- 3 radishes thinly sliced
- 1/2 small avocado thinly sliced strips
For the Sauce
To Cook the Pasta
- Bring water to a boil
- Add salt and pasta
- Cook for 9 minutes and then drain, set aside
To Grill the Veggies
- Heat your stove top grill for about 3 min on medium heat
- Spray it with cooking spray
- Add the veggies to the grill and grill each side
- You can grill one veggie at a time or cook them all together
- Place grilled veggies in a bowl
- Add the cooked pasta to the bowl
For the sauce
- Heat a medium saucepan and add the vegan butter
- When it melts, add the garlic and let it brown for 30 sec
- Add the oil, fresh herbs and sun-dried tomatoes
- Mix well and cook for about 2 minutes on medium heat
- Drizzle sauce over the bowl of pasta and grilled veggies
- Mix well and set aside for 30 minutes
- Serve with garlic bread or by itself
Update Notes: this post was originally published in January 2019 and updated in April 2021.