This quick and easy vegan Mexican fried rice is so much fun to make and eat! Its my take on the traditional Mexican rice. I used peas instead of corn because I love how delicious it tastes with rice. Eat it for lunch, as a side dish and part of a meal prep recipe.
I made this recipe for a guest post on Jenny Melrose Family’s Blog. Reprinted on Healing Tomato with permission
I am a rice aficionado and I have made no apologies for it. Being Indian, rice is in my blood!
This time, I am making a twist on the traditional Chinese fried rice and making a Mexican version of this popular rice dish. Doesn’t it look so colorful?
This is one of those delicious Mexican recipes that makes everyone in my home drool just looking at it. They made sad faces when I told them they couldn’t eat it until after I the photo shoot!
Its funny because it happens so often in my home and in the homes of almost all food bloggers! The camera always gets to “eat” it first with its lens eye!
This rice is always popular when I make it at home. We like to put it in enchiladas and even quesadillas. This rice is so versatile and easy to make that you just might end up making it everyday and never get bored with it.
Why is it called Fried Rice?
So, why is it called fried rice? Well, its because of how the rice is cooked initially. When I add the rice, I stir-fry it for a few minutes before I add the water. This makes them slightly crispy and also less soggy.
The Mexican flavors in this recipe include taco seasoning. I have also used fajita seasoning and even Cuban seasoning. The possibilities are limitless!
For the rice, I went with basmati rice. Its my favorite rice and I rarely use any other types of rice. If you don’t have basmati, any long grain rice will work in this recipe. If you are health conscious, go with long grain brown rice. The only thing to keep in mind is that the rice might require a little less water than my recipe below.
If you are looking for Cinco de Mayo recipes, this Mexican fried rice will work with almost any meal on your menu. It’s the right side dish for any meat recipe or wrap it in a tortilla and enjoy it as a vegan burrito.
Do you notice that I put peas in it? This seems completely against the grain, I know. But, it really adds to the flavor of the rice and I wanted to try something other than corn in this recipe. This is the second time I have used peas in rice. My coconut rice recipe is tastier because of the peas.
Corn is the safe choice, so, if you are not a fan of peas, then, definitely substitute it for peas. But, I ask you to try it once and see how good they taste. Use baby sweet peas for best results.
So, how will you eat this Mexican fried rice?
Mexican Fried Rice
For the Rice
- 2½ Tbsp Corn Oil
- 1½ Tbsp Garlic Shredded
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Optional
- ¼ cup Red Onions Finely diced
- 6 pieces Mini Sweet Peppers Use a variety of colors
- ⅔ cup Black Beans From can, drained
- ⅔ cup White Beans From can, drained
- 2 cups Basmati Rice Uncooked
- 2½ tsp Salt Adjust to taste
- 1 Jalapeno Finely chopped, Optional
- 3 Tbsp Taco Seasoning Or Fajita Seasoning
- 5 cups Water Set about 1/2 cup aside
- 1 cup Baby sweet peas Do not thaw, if using frozen
- ½ cup Green Enchilada Sauce Optional
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
For The Garinish
- ¼ cup Baby Sweet Peas Thawed and drained
- 3 Tbsp Red Onions Finely diced
- Cilantro Finely chopped
- Heat a heavy bottom pan for 30 seconds on medium heat and then add the oil
- Add the cumin seeds and garlic
- After 30 seconds, add the onions and mini sweet peppers
- Saute for about 4 minutes on medium heat making sure it doesn’t burn
- Add the black beans and white beans
- Saute for 2 minutes then add the rice
- Stir fry the rice for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly
- Add the jalapeno, taco seasoning and salt
- Add the water, but, save about 1/2 cup
- Cover it and let it cook on medium heat for 10 minutes
- Uncover, add the peas and green enchilada sauce
- Cover again and cook for another 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently
- If it feels too dry, add the 1/2 cup of water
- When done, mix in the lime juice
- Mix the garnish ingredients and top it on the rice
- Serve immediately