This hearty vegetarian beet chili is made with roasted beets and beans. Quick, simple recipe for summer cookout. To keep it vegan, omit the Romano cheese
Have you tried beets in a chili recipe before?
Its the perfect dense texture that will fool the most ardent meat-eaters.
Some of my meat eating friends always complained that vegetarian food doesn’t seem to feed the soul!
In my quest to show them some delicious vegetarian meals that are comforting too, I went on a quest for hearty ingredients.
That’s how I discovered that roasted beets are a great way to make any meal dense and hearty.
Then, this recipe was born and my friends had to concede that
It has ingredients that are not the norm in many chili recipes
For one, it has beets. They give this vegetarian chili a very “meaty” texture. To the point that you will not even notice that it doesn’t have any meat in it.
Also included in this recipe is habanero peppers. They are high on the scoville scale so they will make for a spicy meal. If used correctly, the habanero can add the perfect level of spiciness to any recipe.
I have tried this vegetarian beet chili recipe in the past without the beets and they just feel and taste like soup. So, I make sure that I include beets in every one of my recipes.
The beans are also a star in this recipe. I went with pinto beans, black beans and kidney beans. I think that is enough beans, right?
All 3 beans contribute a delicious flavor to this recipe.
Give my vegetarian beet chili recipe a try and let me know what you think. I also have a vegetarian chili with mushrooms which is just as delicious and hearty.
Do you love Beets?
Vegetarian Beet Chili
Vegetarian Chili Made With Beets
- 2 beets Fresh, thoroughly washed
- 1 can dark red kidney beans drained and washed
- 1 can black beans drained and washed
- 1 can pinto beans drained and washed
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 can tomato sauce (unsalted)
- 1/2 red onion Finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic Finely chopped
- 1 habanero chili or 2 jalapenos
- 2 tsp Sunflower Oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp Romano cheese or Cojita
- 1 cup water
How To Cook Beets
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wear plastic gloves when working with beets
- Make shallow cuts in the beets and lightly oil them
- Wrap them in aluminum foil
- Cook them for about 25-30 Minutes or until a knife passes them easily
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool while covered/
- Remove foil and cut beets into small bite size pieces
To Cook the Chili
- Split habanero into half and remove the seeds. Wear plastic gloves
- Finely chop habanero
- In a pan, add the oil and warm it up
- Add the onions, cumin seeds, garlic and habanero pepper
- After 30 Seconds, add the beets and cherry tomato
- Cook for 15 minutes on low heat or until the beets turn slightly crispy
- Add the salt, fresh pepper, cayenne pepper and sugar
- Add the cumin powder
- Add the tomato sauce and all the beans
- Add the water and cover
- Allow the vegetarian beet chili to simmer for about 25 minutes on low heat
- Add the lemon juice at the end and heat for 5 more minutes
- Remove the vegetarian beet chili from heat and adjust taste if needed.