Easy Roasted Broccoli Recipe with Potatoes is a very simple side dish baked in a sheet pan. Seasoned with simple ingredients, these broccoli and potatoes have so much flavor. Perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or any meal.
Who says you can’t have your cake and eat it too??
This recipe is a great way to enjoy a healthy ingredient and a comfort food ingredient in one large bowl! Even broccoli haters can’t resist!
The good news is that you can put these crispy broccoli and potatoes are very versatile. Put them in a grain bowl or serve as a side to any main course meal.
Here is a quick look at the ingredients. It is to understand why these specific ingredients were chosen. To get the full recipe, go to the bottom of this post and get full instructions.
Broccoli Crowns – By now, we all know that broccoli is a powerhouse of nutrition. Being part of the cruciferous family, they are the king of antioxidants and vitamin C. Source: UCLA Health and Prevention. You can also use broccoli stems.
Potatoes – Yes, they are very starchy vegetables, but they also help with your progesterone levels if you are a woman. Source: Dr. Mindy.
Garlic Cloves – Garlic cloves have an immeasurable amount of benefits. They help the brain, heart, and liver (among other organs) function optimally. Source: Cleveland Clinic.
Herbs – Herbs (fresh or dried) can provide so much assistance to the respiratory system. It helps open up the chest and lungs, so include them as often as you can. Source: Dr. Axe. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
🔪 Chopping Tip: cut broccoli head into little floret and make bite-sized potato pieces because they will cook evenly.
How to make this oven-roasted broccoli recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the head of broccoli into small florets. They should be about the size of a US Quarter coin. Cut the potatoes into similar sizes. This way they will be bite-sized pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, add the broccoli, potatoes, and grated garlic.
- Add 2 Tbsp of Avocado oil to the bowl (or use just olive oil).
- Add a little salt, oregano, basil, thyme, and Rosemary to the bowl.
- If you are using cayenne pepper and black pepper, add it to the bowl.
- Use two wooden spoons to gently mix all the ingredients.
- Spread the broccoli and potatoes on a baking sheet (you can lay a parchment paper to keep the tray clean). Spread in a single layer only.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes or until the broccoli starts to brown and the potatoes turn golden brown. Keep a close eye on the sheet pan and perform the knife test to make sure the potatoes are done.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a large bowl. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and sprinkle lemon zest.
- Toss gently and serve while still hot.
🔥 Handy Tip: Don’t roast broccoli on high heat like 400°F! They will lose their nutrition.
Sheet pan is my favorite way to cook this healthy side dish. The broccoli and potatoes go into a hot oven like this…
….. and come out looking like this!
A word about extra garlic cloves
Many of my recipes are laden with garlic (Pizza sauce, garlic bread, and garlic potatoes, to name a few). This is my personal preference but, you can adjust it to your taste, but I think you shouldn’t. Garlic really brings out the best of potatoes and broccoli in this recipe.
The best way to bring flavors of broccoli and potatoes is to add extra garlic. I have even added a sprinkle of red pepper flakes occasionally. Try it next time and let me know what you think.
🥦 Ingredients tip: The reason this is the best roasted broccoli recipe is because it’s made with basic ingredients. Keeping it simple is why this is a flavorful broccoli.
Answering Common Questions
Yes, you can use sweet potatoes. Just adjust the seasonings. I tend to use about ½tsp more rosemary and oregano with sweet potatoes. Reduce the salt a little bit (Use ¾tsp).
Since both the broccoli and potatoes are bite-size pieces, they will cook at the same time. This way, you will get crispier broccoli.
No, fresh broccoli florets are the best way to go! They won’t turn soggy and have an even texture. Be sure to give them a good rinse and dry broccoli thoroughly before mixing with other ingredients.
Yes, you can shave Parmesan Regianno on it, or for a vegan version, use (Affiliate Link) Go Veggie’s version.
🌿 Handy Tip: My best broccoli baking tip is to spread them out on an even layer on a sheet pan, so it will cook evenly. Share your best tips below.
Make Ahead and Storage
You are in luck because this is one of those rare great recipe that can be made ahead! It’s funny, I know, but most of my recipes are made to be eaten immediately. This easy broccoli recipe can be made ahead and put into meal prep recipes.
Oven roast and store it in an airtight container like these (Affiliate Link) C Crest glass containers with lids. What I like to do is sprinkle a little avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil on top of the roasted broccoli potatoes before closing the lid. This way, they don’t dry out.
P/s: I have loved growing my broccoli. Check out Broccoli Growing by MI Gardener which is an excellent place to learn gardening.
Try these Broccoli Recipes
- Want a variety of vegetable recipes? You will love these air fryer roasted vegetables.
- I also love broccoli’s cousins: Brussels Sprouts and whole roasted cauliflower. They too, can be served with any main dish.
- Make broccoli in the air fryer and get the crispiest roasted broccoli.
Sharing is caring
Don’t be shy, chime in below in the comments. Let me hear your opinion on this crispy roasted broccoli recipe. If you enjoyed this roasted broccoli recipe, please give it great reviews and give it 5 stars. Share it on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram.
Simple Roasted Red Potatoes & Broccoli Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Take 2 broccoli crowns and cut them into bite size pieces2 broccoli crowns
- Take 4 small red potatoes (leave skin on) and cut them into bite size pieces4 baby red potatoes
- Finely chop 5 cloves of garlic and put into a mixing bowl5 cloves garlic
- Add the cut broccoli and potatoes to the mixing bowl
- Add the oil salt and herbs to the bowl2 Tbsp avocado oil, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp dried basil, 1 tsp dried thyme, ¼ tsp dried Rosemary
- Add cayenne pepper and black pepper, if using⅓ tsp black pepper, ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- Use two wooden spoons to gently mix all the ingredients together
- Spread the broccoli and potatoes evenly on a sheet pan or baking sheet
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes or until the broccoli starts to brown
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Drizzle 1tsp of lemon juice and sprinkle lemon zest¾ tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp lemon zest