Easy Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Butter Beans is the out-of-this-world fall time soup that soothes the soul! Flavored with cinnamon + nutmeg and slowly simmered to perfection.
I can’t wait for fall!
I can’t wait for when the weather is so cold, my teeth are chattering uncontrollably and I can’t feel my fingers!
I can’t wait for that biting cold that makes my face turn into a giant frozen ice cube!
In other words, I can’t wait for pumpkin soup season!
Soup has a way of soothing the soul! It warms you up from the inside and melts away all the cold weather blues!
Every soup season, I have made a soup that warm and inviting!
- My broccoli soup is one of my all time favorites.
- If you have orzo lying around, this Orzo soup makes for a quick heart warming soup.
- Potato soup with fennel is also perfect for the fall weather. Plus, potatoes are the all time favorite comfort food.
- Acorn squash soup is terrific and easy to make.
Vegan pumpkin soup with butter beans is my favorite type of soup for the fall. I have had creamy pumpkin soups and light pumpkin soups!
But, I have never had a creamy vegan pumpkin soup with butter beans!
I have no good explanation for why I haven’t had it before or made it for the blog. Beans in vegan pumpkin soup always add a layer of texture and make the soup even more hearty.
I used butter beans because they are large and colorless. Lima beans are denser in taste, so, it didn’t taste as well in pumpkin soup. Incidentally, it was until recently that I learned about the real differences between lima and butter beans.
When I made my lima beans over polenta recipe, I did some research about both beans. Lima beans get their name from the capital of Peru where they are cultivated. Butter beans and Lima beans are used interchangeably. For me, the green version are the lima beans and the cream colored ones are butter beans.
Lima beans always become the star of the recipe because of their heavy taste. They have a “meaty” taste and so I like using them in curries and stews.
Butter beans are the perfect light beans and that’s why I like using them in soups. Next time, I am going to make just a butter bean soup to see how it tastes
What is your favorite part of soup season?
Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Butter Beans
For The Tomato Base
- 1/2 red onion roughly chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes roughly chopped
- 4 pieces ginger root cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil to roast the veggies
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 sprig fresh Rosemary
- 3 Tbsp water For blending
For the Soup
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 cup Butter Beans Cooked or from a can
- 1.5 cup Pumpkin Puree 100% pure
- 2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp lime juice
For the Garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup Green Onions chopped
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 4 leaves Rosemary
Make the Tomato Base
- Preheat oven to 425°
- In a baking dish, add the tomato base ingredients
- Mix well and place in the oven
- Roast for 25 minutes or until the veggies turn slightly crispy
- Remove and let them cool for 5 minutes. Blend them into pulp texture
- Make the soup
- In a pan, add the coconut oil and heat on medium
- Add the butter beans and let the skin turn crispy (about 5 minutes)
- Add the pumpkin puree and coconut milk
- Add the water and mix well
- Add the salt, nutmeg and cinnamon
- Mix well and let it simmer on slow for about 25 minutes
- Transfer to serving bowl and garnish
- Serve immediately