Acorn squash soup recipe
This is a creamy vegan roasted acorn squash soup with roasted carrots and fall spices is very easy to make. Its a soul-warming, toe tingling soup that will make you lick your bowl clean!
Acorn squash is new in my life!
Now, I am kicking myself for not liking it sooner. There are so many wonderful recipes I could make with it!
It has so much nutrition and it is a very versatile squash, because it works in desserts too.
Before turning them into this delicious fall soup recipe, I stuffed them with wild rice and cranberries!
This soup is inspired partly by Panera’s Autumn soup
💭 Tips for making this soup
- Microwave the acorn first and let it cool enough to handle before cutting into it.
- Use crinkle cut carrots because they roast faster
- Place the ginger in the acorn before you place it in the oven. It will flavor the acorn from the inside
- I recommend using coconut water over using vegetable broth. Its a personal choice to make acorn soup without broth because I think coconut water makes it taste better. But, feel free to use broth if you like it.
- I used agave to sweeten the soup, but maple syrup would work too.
- After blending and transferring the soup to pan, there is always some soup pulp that is stuck in the processor. I add a little coconut milk and coconut water to the blend and blend for about 30 sec. That mixes up any remaining pulp and there is not waste.
➕ What can I add to it?
- Roasted Butternut squash
- Baked Sweet Potatoes (discard skin)
- Roasted Bell Peppers (orange or yellow)
- Yellow Squash
- Delicata squash
- Granny smith apples (peel and add them when you are blending the ingredients)
- Hot pepper of some kind like red pepper flakes or Thai red chili
❓ Common questions about this soup
Here are some questions I think you may have while you are making the soup or after that. Feel free to ask me anything about this soup in the comments below.
Can I make this soup in the slow cooker?
Yes, feel free to make this soup in the slow cooker. It will cook perfectly in it. Make sure you remove the skin from the acorn first.
Add all the ingredients into the slow cooker and cook for about 5 hours. You will have to experiment with the time. Once it’s done cooking, unplug it first.
Then, use and immersion blender to blend it all. Cook for about 10 minutes after blending. Then serving with garnish.
So, how long did it take you to make the soup in the slow cooker?
How can you tell when acorn squash is over-ripe?
If the acorn squash has soft spots on the outside, it is going bad. The acorn should be a hard shell all around.
Also, check for orange or yellow discoloration on the outside of the acorn. The whole acorn squash should be green
Do you have more tips for working with acorn squash? Send me your tips and tricks by commenting below?
Can I freeze it?
Yes, acorn squash soup can be frozen for up to 6 months. Use freezer friendly soup containers.
I like to label the container with the name of the soup and the date I made it. This way, I know how long it has been frozen.
How to thaw frozen soup?
Thaw the acorn squash soup just enough that it can be transferred to a soup pan.
Set the soup pan to low heat and let the soup heat up to your desired level. I don’t recommend bringing it to a boil.
Also, give it a taste test to make sure all the flavors are still intact. I found that I needed to add a little more ginger and a little bit of salt to the frozen acorn soup.
Why can’t I use vegetable broth in this recipe?
You can absolutely use broth in this acorn squash soup. It will taste delicious with it, so add it to your heart’s content.
I am not a fan of vegetable broth. It’s one of those ingredients that you will never find in my home. I think there are so many better ways to flavor meals without using broth, so, I never use it.
✅ Choosing the right acorn
To get the perfect stuffed acorn squash recipe, you need the perfect acorn. That’s my humble opinion. 🙂
- Acorn squash comes in all shapes and sizes. Choose the one that is symmetrical and has pointy end. They are sweeter and “meatier” on the inside
- Choose an acorn that is evenly colored. That means it should be green all around. Don’t choose acorns with orange or red patches.
- The acorn should be firm all around. Avoid acorn squash with soft patches. That just means that the acorn ripened unevenly.
- I choose acorn that is 2lbs or less. They tend to be sweeter. The larger acorns tasted bitter, especially when making an acorn squash soup
♨️ How to cook it
- First, the acorn squash needs to be washed thoroughly. Place it under running water and clean the groves. Use a (Affiliate Link) veggie brush to get in between the groves.
- After you dry it, its time to microwave acorn squash. Microwave it on normal setting for 3 minutes and 30 seconds. If your acorn is smaller, microwave it for 3 minutes
- Use a pair of mittens to remove the acorn from the microwave. Place it on a baking tray and let it cool (about 7 min)
- Once it has cooled, place it on its side. Use a long, sharp knife to cut into it. Place knife in between the groove of the acorn and press down.
- Cut it into half and place it side by side.
- Use a round spoon (like a soup spoon) to begin scooping out the insides. Be sure to scoop out all the seeds and the thread. You don’t want an acorn squash soup where you are pulling out threads from the bowl
- When done, take a minute to admire the acorn squash. It is a beautiful gourd from the inside.
At this point its ready to go into the oven after you flavor it according to the recipe instructions.
👩🍳 How to make this soup
Place the acorn squash cut side up on a tray. Start by rubbing 1 Tbsp of butter on the . Cut the remaining butter and place it inside the acorn
Measure about 2″ piece of ginger and about 0.5″ in width. It doesn’t have to be exact. Cut it into half and place it inside the acorn
Brush the inside of the acorn squash with agave (2 Tbsp)
Sprinkle about 1 tsp of turmeric on the acorn squash. Place in a 400° preheated oven for 45 min or until they pass the knife-test.
At about the 30 min mark of the acorn cooking, prepare the carrots
Place crinkle carrots in a glass bowl
Add a few leaves of Rosemary and 1/8 tsp of pink salt to the carrots
Add 1 tsp of oil to the carrots and 1 tsp of oregano to the carrots. Mix well
Place carrots on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil and place them inside the oven, next to the acorn squash
When they are both done, remove from the oven and let them cool to touch
Scoop out the acorn pulp using a round spoon.
In a food processor, add the carrots. Use a food processor or a vitamix
Add 2 Tbsp coconut milk, 1 tsp of peeled ginger, 1 Tbsp agave and nutritional yeast to the processor
Mix well until everything is blended to a thick consistency
In a pan, add 1 tsp vegan butter or olive oil (optional)
Set the pan to medium heat and gently transfer the blended acorn squash in the pan. Mix a little coconut milk in the blender to remove any extra pulp.
Add 1/4 cup coconut milk and 1 cup of water.
Add 1/2 tsp ginger powder, 1 tsp of pink salt, 1 tsp agave and mix well
Cook on medium high heat for 5 minutes and then serve immediately
🥗 What to serve with the soup
Soup and salad is a delicious combination right? Or how about a grilled cheese sandwich with a big bowl of this acorn squash soup?
Here are some of my favorites to serve with acorn squash soup
What is your favorite thing to eat with soup?
🖨 Full Recipe
Vegan Roasted Acorn Squash Recipe
For the acorn squash
For the carrots
To make the acorn squash
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Thoroughly wash the acorn squash and dry it
- Place the acorn squash in the microwave
- Microwave it for 3 minutes and 30 seconds
- Wait for it to cool to touch and then remove it from the microwave
- Place the acorn on its side on a baking tray
- Position a large knife on a grove of the acorn and cut it into half.
- Scoop out all the seeds and threads inside the squash
- Start by rubbing 1 Tbsp of butter on the. Cut the remaining butter and place it inside the acorn
- Cut the ginger in half and place inside each acorn
- Brush the inside of the acorn squash with agave
- Sprinkle turmeric powder on the acorn squash
- Place oven for 45 min or until they pass the knife-test.
- At about the 30 min mark of the acorn cooking, prepare the carrots
Prepare the carrots
- Place crinkle carrots in a glass bowl
- Add a few leaves of Rosemary and 1/8 tsp of pink salt to the carrots
- Add 1 tsp of oil to the carrots and 1 tsp of oregano to the carrots. Mix well
- Place carrots on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil and place them inside the oven, next to the acorn squash
- When both squash and carrots are done, remove from the oven and let them cool to touch
Assembling the soup
- Scoop out the acorn pulp using a round spoon.
- In a food processor, add the carrots
- Add 2 Tbsp coconut milk, 1 tsp of peeled ginger, 1 Tbsp agave and nutritional yeast to the processor
- Mix well until everything is blended to a thick consistency
- In a pan, add 1 tsp vegan butter or olive oil (optional)
- Set the pan to medium heat and gently transfer the blended acorn squash in the pan. Mix a little coconut milk in the blender to remove any extra pulp.
- Add 1/4 cup coconut milk and 1 cup of water.
- Add 1/2 tsp ginger powder, 1 tsp of pink salt, 1 tsp agave and mix well
- Cook on medium high heat for 5 minutes and then serve immediately
- food processor or blender
- 6 quart soup pot