Vegan Potato Soup recipe with fennel & dill is an easy potato soup recipe made using cream of coconut. Comfort food recipe for cold or rainy days
This was my first try at potato soup!
It was perfect for the cold summer days.
This soup has all the ingredients for a hearty, warm and comforting meal. I decided to roast the potatoes because it really brings out its flavors while retaining its texture.
That turned out to be a very delicious decision.
My favorite part of this recipe is the fennel. I had never used it on the blog before my pickled vegetables recipe and now, I have five recipes planned. It is one of the most fragrant vegetables I have worked with. When I sliced into it, my kitchen was filled with a licorice and star anise aroma.
They had an even more heady aroma when I roasted them on the stove top. The aroma seeped into my pores and I could smell it in my sleep. It is some of the best sleep I have had in a very long time.
In my broccoli and cauliflower soup, I used coconut milk to make it creamy. However, in this soup, I used cream de coconut which is sweeter than coconut milk. When combined with ginger, this soup becomes sweet, spicy and oh so delicious! I also left this soup a little chunky because that is the way I like my soups.
Did you know that fennel is most commonly used in Italian cooking? There, it is known as finocchio.
This recipe uses baby potatoes. If you are fan of them, check out some of my other baby potato recipes
What is your favorite winter soup?
Potato Soup Recipe With Fennel
For Roasting The Potatoes
- 5 small red potatoes washed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper.
For The Fennel
- ½ fennel bulb cut into long strips
- ½ green bell pepper julienned
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 3 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cream of coconut + 1 tsp more for later use
- ½ cup water
- 2 sprigs dill
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup water Optional
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees
- Cut the potatoes (not pealed) into 4 pieces and place them in a bowl
- Add olive oil, oregano, salt black pepper. Mix well
- Spread potatoes on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes
- In a stir fry pan, add oil and heat for 30 seconds
- Add garlic and ginger
- Add the green bell pepper and salt and stir fry until the bell pepper is softened (7 minutes)
- Add the fennel and stir fry for about 5 more minutes
- Set it aside and allow it to cool for about 5 minutes before adding to blender
- Add cream de coconut and water. Blend until it is smooth.
- Remove and strain to remove stray fennel strands. Set aside
- When the potatoes are done, remove them from the oven and remove skin when cooled down
- In a saucepan, add the potatoes and strained fennel mixture
- Use a hand mixer to blend the potatoes and fennel mixture
- Add the 1 tsp of cream of coconut (optional) and 1 cup of water.
- Simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well. Adjust for salt and pepper