Easy to Make Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes with Pistachios and a Very Simple Pumpkin Spice Frosting. Its the Perfect Eggless Dessert Made in 30 Minutes
Disclaimer – This post was originally sponsored by KitchenAid. All opinions are my own
Once in a while, I take a shortcut during the cooking / baking process
Once in a while, its ok to take a shortcut, right?
Once in a while, its ok if you use a shortcut to bake a beautiful piece of cupcake.
I am always hard on myself and insist I make everything from scratch.
Food tastes better to me when its made from scratch. I can taste every ingredient in it.
But, I have come to discover that I haven’t been blessed with the baking genes. So, I take shortcuts
This time, I bought some ready made cake mix and added my own flair to it.
Well, judge for yourself….
I got lucky because I found a cake mix that had all vegan ingredients. To it, I added finely crushed pistachios and apple sauce.
That’s all! I didn’t have to try and figure out what kind of flour or non-dairy product to use in the cupcake. Can you believe how easy it is to make these drool-worthy vegan cupcakes?
The applesauce made the cupcakes very moist. There is a slight nuttiness to them because of the pistachios which made it a perfect taste match to the pumpkin spice frosting!
You can also choose to add aquafaba which is the vegan answer to eggs.
If you want to make these cupcakes for Valentine’s day, switch the frosting to a strawberry or vanilla frosting. You can even try it with a chocolate or buttercream frosting.
In some of the cupcakes, I added finely diced strawberries just to experiment. Oh my! Can I just tell you how amazing they tasted!! I couldn’t get over how delicious the artificial strawberry flavor played with the real strawberries! So, if you have fresh strawberries lying around, I suggest you try adding them to the cupcakes. You will not regret it.
Strawberries have become very near and dear to my heart. Recently, I had the good fortune to visit the farms where Florida Strawberries are researched, perfected and grown. It is amazing to see that they can be picked right from the plant and sold directly to you and me! Trust me, there is nothing better than a Florida strawberry because they are sweet, juicy and oh so very delicious!
These vegan strawberry cupcakes were so delicious that I didn’t even wait to do the frosting on them. I ate them right out of the oven and even burnt my mouth as I devoured them.
What is your idea of THE perfect cupcake?
Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes
Strawberry Cupcakes For The Cure
For The Strawberry Cupcakes
- 2 cups strawberry cake mix
- 1/2 cup pistachios unsalted, finely ground
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water + 2 Tbsp more
- 1 tsp maple syrup
For The Frosting
- 1 cup confectioners sugar I used vegan sugar
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 drops vanilla essence
- 1 Tbsp almond milk
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 2 strawberries finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place cake mix in a bowl and add the pistachios
- Add the apple sauce (or aquafaba), vegetable oil and water. If it feels too dry, add 2 Tbsp of water
- Add maple syrup and mix everything
- Line cupcake tray with cupcake liners. This will make about 20 cupcakes
- Fill up the cupcakes liners with the strawberry mixture. I filled up about half way
- Place in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until they past the knife test
- Remove from the oven and let them cool
- While the cupcakes are in the oven, prepare the frosting.
- I used my vegan buttercream frosting recipe. Instead of the food coloring, I put 2 tsp of pumpkin spice
- Only frost these strawberry cupcakes when you are ready to serve