How to make vegan creamed corn? This vegan creamed corn is made with fresh corn and bell peppers. I used coconut milk for the perfect creamy texture.
Who doesn’t love creamed corn?
Just because you and I are vegans, doesn’t mean we have to miss out on “creamed” corn, right?
So, I put together this delicious recipe and even added a few of my own touches to it. I am willing to bet that its just as good as your Grandmother’s creamed corn recipe.
Tips for making this vegan corn recipe
– Use a stainless steel, strong bottom pan. Do not use a teflon based pan.
– Never let the heat go above medium for this recipe. You don’t want the corn or veggies to burn
– You can omit all the other veggies and make it a using just the corn, coconut milk, butter, salt and pepper. I love the textures and other flavors bring to this recipe
– For an extra spice, you can add cayenne pepper
What is the cream in cream corn?
It is traditionally made with sweet corn in a cream sauce which is made using heavy whipping cream. The corn and heavy cream is cooked until it is thickened.
Some of the corn can be blended together to make an even more thicker creamed corn. Its the perfect side dish especially for Thanksgiving.
Isn’t creamed corn vegan friendly?
No, sadly, southern creamed corn is not vegan. Since the southern recipes are usually made with heavy creams or dairy products, they are not considered vegan.
Also, I have seen a couple southern creamed corn versions add bacon or bacon fat in it.
So, southern creamed corn, by default is not vegan. But, its really easy to make a vegan version of it. Creamed corn can be made with many non-dairy alternatives.
Can I freeze it?
No, I wouldn’t recommend freezing my recipe. I used coconut milk for this recipe and freezing it just made it more liquid and it lost a lot of the fresh taste.
I also tried freezing it after making it with Almond milk. It wasn’t as bad as when I used coconut milk, but, it didn’t taste good.
You can use frozen corn to make this recipe instead of fresh corn. But, I really recommend using fresh corn because the corn is soft and practically melts in your mouth
– Coconut Milk
– Coconut Cream
– Almond Milk
– Soy Milk
– Oat Milk
– Hemp Milk
How to make it from fresh corn
1) De-husk 4 corn on the cob. Use a knife to remove all the kernels of the corn. Set 1/2 cup of the cut corn aside
2) Finely dice Red Bell Pepper
3) Finely dice celery
4) Finely dice onions
5) Take 4 Tbsp vegan butter and melt it in a heated stainless steel pan. Keep heat at medium
6) Add the all purpose flour, 1 Tbsp at a time, until fully blended. Keep heat at low
7) Add celery, bell peppers and onions to the pan
8) Add crushed garlic to the pan (not pictured). Cook on low heat for about 4 minutes or until the bell peppers have softened
9) While they veggies are cooking, add 1/2 cup of corn on the cob and 3 Tbsp of coconut milk into a blender
10) Blend until smooth
11) Add the 2.5 cups of corn on the cob to the pan with the bell peppers
12) Add the blended corn to the pan
15) Add 1 cup of water to the pan
16) Add salt to the pan
17) Add pepper to the pan and cook until it has a creamy consistency. Will take about 5 minutes on medium heat.
Turn of heat and serve
How to make vegan creamed corn
- 2 cups corn on the cob I used 4 medium sized corn
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1 stalk celery finely diced
- 1/4 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 Tbsp vegan butter
- 4 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp lime juice optional
- cilantro for garnish, optional
- De-husk 4 corn on the cob and cut the corn using a knife. Set 1/2 cup aside
- Melt vegan butter in a heated stainless steel pan. Keep heat at medium
- Add the all purpose flour, 1 Tbsp at a time, until fully blended. Keep heat at low
- Add celery, bell peppers and onions to the pan
- Add crushed garlic to the pan
- Cook for about 4 minutes or until the bell peppers have softened. Keep heat at low
- While they veggies are cooking, add 1/2 cup of corn on the cob into a blender
- Add 3 Tbsp of coconut milk to the blender
- Blend until smooth
- Add the 2.5 cups of corn on the cob to the pan with the bell peppers
- Add the blended corn to the pan
- Add 1 cup of water to the pan
- Add salt to the pan
- Add pepper to the pan and cook until it has a creamy consistency. Will take about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Turn of heat and serve