Easy Oven Roasted Zucchini Recipe with Garlic is made with large zucchini. It’s a delicious side dish for Thanksgiving and all year round. 5-minute prep time, cooking zucchini will never be boring.
If you are like me, you are ALWAYS looking for nutritious vegetable side dish recipes because you get bored easily.
Zucchini is the king of side dishes! You can flavor it a hundred ways from Sunday and it never gets boring.
I find that one of the best way to flavor it is by adding 2 different seasonings: Italian seasoning and lavender!
Here is a quick look at the ingredients. It is to understand why these specific ingredients were chosen. To get the full recipe, go to the recipe card below.
Large zucchini – The reason I love large zucchini is because they are very hearty and “meaty”. So, I don’t have a soggy zucchini mess on my hands. My large zucchini weighed 531g! Zucchini is a great source of fiber, Vitamin C and B6. Source: Eat This Much and Very Well Fit.
Avocado Oil – It’s packed with polyphenols and good fats! This is my go-to oil now because of its high heat tolerance. Source: Medical News Today and Health.com. If you don’t like avocado oil, use extra virgin olive oil or melted butter.
Fresh Garlic – It has anti-cancer properties, fight against blood clotting and so much more. Plus, it makes zucchini taste so good! Source: AAFP.org.
Italian Seasoning – This seasoning is a blend of some of the best herbs on the planet. It has parsley, thyme, rosemary, and others. These herbs are known to aid digestion, lower blood sugars, and help your mood. Source: PubMed.
🥑 Substitution tip: Don’t like avocado oil? You can sub it with extra virgin olive oil or use melted butter.
- To make the zucchini slices, use (Affiliate Link) a mandoline. Or, you can cut thick slices using a knife. If the slices are too big, cut them into half moons. They can also be cut into zucchini spears. Either way, do not peel the skin.
- In a large bowl, add the zucchini, oil, minced garlic, pink salt, Italian seasoning, and lavender. You can add black pepper, if you like it.
- Mix well. If you have time, cover it and set it aside for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Lightly spray the baking sheet with cooking spray or use parchment paper. This will make cleanup so much easier. Spread the marinated zucchini in a single layer on a large sheet pan or put it on a rimmed baking sheet. Choose a large baking sheet that has enough space.
- Place the sheet pan into a 350°F (176°C) preheated oven. Be careful when putting the tray in the hot oven. The roasting time for zucchini will be 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with lemon juice, serve it with any main dish.
⏱ Handy Tip: Want to make the best roasted zucchini? Marinate the zucchini in the oil mixture for 30 minutes.
Other ways to flavor zucchini
- Nutritional yeast
- Lemon pepper
- Garlic powder
- Garnish with fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro, or tarragon
- Onion powder
Answering Common Questions
An easy way to keep zucchini is to keep the skin on and cook the zucchini at high temperature (at 350°F). Be sure to wash the zucchini whole and then dry it completely before chopping it. Don’t crowd the zucchini pieces on the large baking sheet.
No, for best results, do not peel the zucchini skin. First, the skin prevents the zucchini from getting mushy during the cooking process. Also, the skin is a veritable source of nutrition like fiber, chlorophyll, and vitamins.
Summer zucchini is available, like most summer vegetables, between May to August. However, with the advancement of agriculture technology, they are available almost all year round. This roasted zucchini makes a perfect summer side dish all year round.
Since it’s high water content, zucchini doesn’t hold well when thawed and cooked. For the best taste experience, use fresh zucchini. You can find large zucchini at a grocery store, too. But, I prefer getting mine from Aldi or farmer’s market.
🥒 Substitution tip: Want to prevent the zucchini from getting soggy? Keep the skin on, roast it at high temperature, and space out the zucchini slices in an even layer on the sheet pan.
How to store leftovers
My favorite way to store roasted zucchini or any leftover roasted vegetable dish is to put it in an airtight container. I get them from Amazon, but you can get them at big box stores. The best part is that they can be used in meal-prep recipes too.
Get these (Affiliate Link) glass containers because they are oven-safe too. To reheat, preheat the oven to 200°F (93°C) and place the glass containers (without lids) into it. Heat for no more than 5 minutes.
Flavor zucchini with sauces
Chermoula sauce is made with fresh herbs and oil. It’s an African condiment that is bursting with flavors. No one can hate zucchini flavored with this sauce.
A flavorful peanut satay sauce can make your zucchini taste so much better. It also adds more nutrients to the zucchini.
Have you made pesto using bell pepper from a jar? This pesto is very aromatic and so easy to make. It will make your zucchini taste out of this world!
Try other easy zucchini recipes
Have extra zucchini? Make these easy zucchini recipes.
- Breakfast potatoes with zucchini are a family favorite. Eating zucchini with potatoes is a great way to start the day. Or, make Zucchini soup because it can be eaten in summer or winter.
- Don’t like zucchini by itself? Mix it with other roasted vegetables like broccoli and carrots.
Yesterday, I made these amazing air fryer zucchini chips and it was so delicious. I also used them in meal prep recipes and they held up so well.
Do you agree that roasted zucchini is the perfect side dish?
Sharing is caring
Don’t be shy, chime in below in the comments. Let me hear your opinion on this easy roasted zucchini recipe. If you enjoyed this, please give it a 5 star rating. Share it on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram.
Easy Oven Roasted Zucchini with Garlic
- 1 Mandoline or Large knife
- 1 Cutting board
- 1 Large bowl
- 1 Sheet Pan
- 1 Cooking spray or Parchment paper optional
- 1 large zucchini 531g before chopping
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1½ tsp pink salt
- 3 cloves garlic about 4g
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice adjust to taste
- 3 tsp Italian seasoning about 2.5g
- ½ tsp lavender optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F (178°C)
- Cut zucchini into thick slices using a knife or mandoline.1 large zucchini
- If the slices are too big, cut into half moons.
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients, except lemon juice.3 Tbsp avocado oil, 1½ tsp pink salt, 3 cloves garlic, 3 tsp Italian seasoning, ½ tsp lavender
- Mix well using a wooden spoon.
- If you have time, cover it and set it aside for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Lightly spray the baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Spread the marinated zucchini in a single layer on a sheet pan.
- Place the sheet pan into the preheated oven.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until fork tender
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with lemon juice, serve it with any main dish.2 tsp fresh lemon juice
– Zucchini before cutting – 531g. After cutting the ends off – 509g
– If you have time, set aside the bowl after adding all the ingredients. Marinate for 30 minutes before roasting the zucchini
– Arrange the zucchini in a single layer, do not crowd it.
– Lavender is optional, but highly recommended. It adds a completely different aroma to the recipe.
– Don’t peel the zucchini skin because it adds flavor and texture.