Spinach salad on a bagel
Salad can be boring and I am always trying to make them exciting. Recently, I made a Whole Food’s copy cat salad using baby kale. That was a great way to drum out some of the old salad doldrums. I have added peaches and coconut into the salad.
Creative spinach salad will always grab people’s attention. When I put beets on bagel bites, it was an instant hit. So, I decided to put this Greek spinach salad on something everyone loves.
A mini bagel!
Who doesn’t love mini bagels, right? The small bagels are the guilt-free versions of comfort food. To keep this bagel on the healthy side, I went with whole wheat mini bagels because they are definitely healthier than the regular version. Also, I like their whole wheat’s denser taste. These bagels don’t get soggy like their white brethren.
I kept the spinach salad very simple. It is your daily spinach salad that you can eat daily. The ingredients are staples of any salad like onions, tomatoes, olives, cheese and spinach.
You can put this salad in a pita or just devour it by itself. Toast the bagels before topping them with spinach salad. You will be glad you did.
What is your creative way of eating salad?
Spinach Salad on Mini Bagels
1) Toast 8 mini bagels in the toaster. Once they are toasted, remove from the oven and set aside. Make sure they are completely cool before you top with the salad.
2) Take 3 cups of baby spinach and wash it thoroughly. Dry it on a paper towel and then place it in a large bowl
3) Take about ¼ of a red onion and slice it julienne style. Add them to the spinach
4) Take 8 campari tomatoes and wash them. Cut each tomato into 4 pieces. Add them to the bowl with the spinach and onions
5) Add ¼ cup of chopped black olives to the spinach bowl. I found chopped olives with red jalapeno made by Lindsay. It added a slight spice to the salad and was very delicious. If you prefer plain olives, use those instead.
6) Add ½ cup of feta cheese to the spinach salad. If you want to keep this recipe vegan, I have a vegan version of feta cheese that you can use in this recipe.
7) Add ½ tsp of salt and ½ tsp of black pepper to the salad. The black pepper is optional
8) In a separate bowl, add 3 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
9) Add 1 Tbsp of red wine vinegar to the oil
10) Add 4 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar to the oil
11) Add 2 tsp of orange juice. If you have freshly squeezed orange juice, use that.
12) Add 1/4 tsp of freshly ground black pepper to the dressing
13) Add 1/4 tsp of dried rosemary
14) Add ¼ tsp of dried oregano to the oil and mix well with a spoon
15) Drizzle the balsamic dressing on spinach salad
16) Use two wooden spoons to gently toss the salad and mix all the ingredients together
17) If you have hummus laying around, spread a very thin layer of it on the bagels
18) Use salad clamps to top the spinach salad on the bagels.
Serve the spinach salad on mini bagels immediately and enjoy