These Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are a very easy vegan and gluten free Thanksgiving side dish. This sweet potato recipe is really easy to make using everyday ingredients. Version 2
These Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes are truly LOADED!
If you are going to eat a loaded sweet potato, I say why not go all out!
Tips for making it
- Serve this sweet potato right out of the oven. Its best when served hot.
- If you use frozen corn, do not thaw it before adding to the pan. Add the frozen corn and the cooking process will keep it crispy
- You can add jalapeno to this recipe to make it hot. I didn’t make it spicy (shocking, right?)
- After you top the baked sweet potato with the black bean mixture, you can put it into the oven for about 5 minutes to bake the toppings. Remove and top with yogurt dressing
- I used fresh spinach in this and all sweet potato recipes, but, you can also use frozen. Be sure to thaw it and squeeze out all the liquid from it.
There is an art to baking a sweet potato. A sweet potato has to be baked evenly and just right. If you don’t have a good baked potato, it ruins the whole taste experience.
That’s why I came up with 5 tips on how to bake the perfect sweet potato. Let me know what you think.
This also works as a black bean salad, if you choose to not use the sweet potato.
There is a slight taste of lemony in this loaded potato. I added lemon pepper to it because it just adds a quick tang to it.
Ever since I put this lemon pepper in Greek seasoning, I haven’t been able to putting it on everything. Someone should have told me about it!
The final topping on this loaded potato was my favorite creamy yogurt dressing. It was a perfect anecdote to the a delicious potato recipe.
Answering common questions
Here are some common questions for making this recipe. If I haven’t answered yours, feel free to comment below with your question.
No, it doesn’t freeze well. It looses it’s texture and becomes more liquidy.
I wasn’t thrilled by how the frozen sweet potato tasted after thawing it in the oven. It seemed to me that it lost some of its sweet flavoring.
You can refrigerate them, but use within a week of making them.
Make these sweet potatoes including the stuffing. Don’t add the yogurt dressing. Let them cool to the touch and then wrap them. I love to wrap the in foil and then store them in the refrigerator. Use within a week of making them.
Place the wrapped and loaded sweet potato into a 425°F preheated oven and let it roast for about 15 minutes. Once it’s heated, unwrap it and topped it with the yogurt dressing before devouring it.
Yes, you can! Vegans love their potatoes and they love it when its loaded up with these delicious ingredients.
Its a delicious side dish and it also is the easiest recipe to make.
More stuffings to add
If you want to pile even higher on these stuffed baked sweet potatoes, add these ingredients
– Butternut squash
– Bell Peppers
– Dried cranberries
Or, try the purple sweet potato! It will become your new obsession.
Loaded Sweet Potato
- 2 Sweet Potatoes baked
- 3 cup Spinach fresh
- ¼ cup Sweet Corn
- 2 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can Black beans drained and washed
- 1 Campari tomato cut into cubes
- ¼ cup Red onions finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Taco seasoning
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper optional
- ⅕ tsp Salt optional
- 2 tsp Lemon optional
For The Vegan Creamy Yogurt Dressing
- 1 cup Vegan Yogurt See notes
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 tsp Pink salt
- 1 tsp Dried basil
- 1 tsp Dried parsely
- 1 tsp Lemon pepper
For the Garnish (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Red onion finely diced
- Lemon zest
- Bake the sweet potato according to these instructions
- After the sweet potato has been baking for 50 min, start making the toppings
- In a medium pan, add the oil and heat for 15 seconds
- Gently add the spinach to the oil and let it wilt to half its size. Don’t stir
- Add the corn, black beans, tomatoes, seasonings and salt.
- Cook for about 7 minutes on medium heat
- Turn off the heat and set it aside
- Mix the ingredients of the yogurt dressing and set it aside
Assembling the Loaded Sweet Potato
- Cut the sweet potato into halves. Cut lengthwise
- Gently open it and top with the black bean mixture
- Top with the yogurt dressing and garnish
- Serve the loaded sweet potato immediately
Version 1 was originally published on March 3rd, 2015 (At 3:20 PM, ????). As I start to learn more photography and better my recipes, I will go back in time to change the previous recipes and refresh them for the present time.
In version one, I used quinoa in the recipe. It was really good, but, I didn’t thing it worked well with the yogurt dressing. So, for version 2 of this recipe, I kept the cooked quinoa out and it was the best decision!
If you use cream cheese in the dressing, experiment with the quinoa and let me know what you think.
When you try this and other sweet potato recipes on my blog, please give me a rating. I am always happy to see how you made my recipe.
What are some of your favorite sweet potato toppings?