Loaded sweet potato should really be LOADED. This sweet potato recipe is really easy to make. Sweet potato toppings include Corn, Black Beans, Tomatoes and Spinach. Version 2
This sweet potato is truly LOADED!
If you are going to eat a loaded sweet potato, I say why not go all out!
Tips on how to make this Loaded Sweet Potato
– Serve this sweet potato right out of the oven. Its best when served hot.
– If you use frozen corn, do not thaw it before adding to the pan. Add the frozen corn and the cooking process will keep it crispy
– You can add jalapeno to this recipe to make it hot. I didn’t make it spicy (shocking, right?)
– After you top the baked sweet potato with the black bean mixture, you can put it into the oven for about 5 minutes to bake the toppings. Remove and top with yogurt dressing
There is an art to baking a sweet potato. A sweet potato has to be baked evenly and just right. If you don’t have a good baked potato, it ruins the whole taste experience.
That’s why I came up with 5 tips on how to bake the perfect sweet potato. Let me know what you think.
Black beans are my favorite things to eat with sweet potatoes. To me, both of them are comfort foods. This also works as a black bean salad, if you choose to not use the sweet potato.
I used fresh spinach in this and all sweet potato recipes, but, you can also use frozen. Be sure to thaw it and squeeze out all the liquid from it.
There is a slight taste of lemony in this loaded potato. I added lemon pepper to it because it just adds a quick tang to it. Ever since I put this lemon pepper in Greek seasoning, I haven’t been able to putting it on everything. Someone should have told me that its an awesome spice.
Of course, no loaded potato can be complete without some tomatoes. In my book, all recipes should include some kind of tomato in it.
The final topping on this loaded potato was my favorite creamy yogurt dressing. It was a perfect anecdote to the a delicious potato recipe.
More Sweet Potato Toppings
If you want an even more loaded sweet potato, add these ingredients
– Butternut squash
– Bell Peppers
Vegan Creamy Yogurt Dressing
I made this using a vegan yogurt, but, you don’t have to. They are getting more expensive and harder to find. In my area, finding plain vegan yogurt is almost impossible. I have no problem finding flavored ones
So, you can use regular yogurt or even better, go with cream cheese
Vegan cream cheese will give it a very creamy dressing and taste just as delicious. I have also tried it with regular cream cheese and it was soooo good.
In the past, I have added hot sauce to the yogurt dressing and it made the sweet potato taste AMAZING! The sweet and spice combination is actually my favorite flavors.
Can you freeze a loaded sweet potato?
No, it doesn’t freeze well. I wasn’t thrilled by how the frozen sweet potato tasted after thawing it in the oven. It seemed to me that it lost some of its sweet flavoring. Its my experience that sweet potato recipes generally don’t freeze well. They have to be refrigerated and consumed within one week.
Yes, you can refrigerate it. I tried this yesterday and the sweet potato retained all its flavors. I baked the sweet potato, loaded it with the black bean mixture and then wrapped it individually.
Today, I placed the wrapped and loaded sweet potato into a preheated oven of 425° and let it roast for about 15 minutes. Once it was heated, I unwrapped it and topped it with the yogurt dressing before devouring it.
All I can say is, “YUMMO!”
Can you serve loaded sweet potato for Thanksgiving?
Yes, you can! Vegans love their potatoes and they love it when its loaded up with these delicious ingredients. Its a delicious side dish and its just the easiest recipe to make. I try to suggest easy vegan sides to serve for Thanksgiving, like my Navy Beans Salad.
Check out my list of 10 other Thanksgiving recipes to serve vegans.
Version 1 of this Loaded Vegan Sweet Potato
Version 1 was originally published on March 3rd, 2015 (At 3:20 PM, 😂). As I start to learn more photography and better my recipes, I will go back in time to change the previous recipes and refresh them for the present time.
In version one, I used quinoa in the recipe. It was really good, but, I didn’t thing it worked well with the yogurt dressing. So, for version 2 of this recipe, I kept the cooked quinoa out and it was the best decision!
If you use cream cheese in the dressing, experiment with the quinoa and let me know what you think.
When you try this and other sweet potato recipes on my blog, please give me a rating. I am always happy to see how you made my recipe.
What are some of your favorite sweet potato toppings?
Vegan Loaded Sweet Potato Video
Making The Loaded Sweet Potato
Loaded Sweet Potato
For The Vegan Creamy Yogurt Dressing
For the Garnish (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Red onion finely diced
- Lemon zest
- Bake the sweet potato according to these instructions
- After the sweet potato has been baking for 50 min, start making the toppings
- In a medium pan, add the oil and heat for 15 seconds
- Gently add the spinach to the oil and let it wilt to half its size. Don't stir
- Add the corn, black beans, tomatoes, seasonings and salt.
- Cook for about 7 minutes on medium heat
- Turn off the heat and set it aside
- Mix the ingredients of the yogurt dressing and set it aside
Assembling the Loaded Sweet Potato
- Cut the sweet potato into halves. Cut lengthwise
- Gently open it and top with the black bean mixture
- Top with the yogurt dressing and garnish
- Serve the loaded sweet potato immediately