Tofu Scramble With Southwestern Flavors – This is a quick vegan breakfast recipe full of flavors and nutrition. The southwestern flavors in this scrambled tofu recipe are the perfect way to start the day
Tofu can be bland, but, if you prepare it with the right spices, it can be lip-smackingly good!
Tips for making this tofu scramble
– This recipe is just a little on the spicy side. If you don’t want it to be too spicy, skip the Serrano or hatch chili, but, keep the red chili powder.
– For this recipe, I used regular potatoes which I don’t do often but it makes for a nice and hearty dinner. You can substitute sweet potatoes, if you prefer. Either way, it will be a delicious meal
– Use a potato masher to scramble the pressed tofu. Its going to make your life very easy
– Don’t thaw the sweet kernel corn, if you are using frozen corn. Cooking in the pan with the other ingredients will automatically thaw the corn. If you have left over corn, put it into a Mexican street corn recipe
– You can even top it with my homemade sofrito recipe
When I eat this tofu scramble for breakfast, I feel energized and it lasts all day. It is the protein from this meal that makes all the difference.
How to Press Tofu Without A Tofu Press
– Place a paper napkin on a flat plate
– Drain the liquid from the tofu box
– Place tofu on the paper napkin
– Place something heavy on top of the top napkin. I choose to use two old pans that are the perfect weight to weigh down the tofu
– Leave the pans for 20 minutes
– Remove the pans and discard the napkins
– Tofu should be drained by now and ready to use
Why tofu over egg substitute?
Some vegans like to put vegan eggs in breakfast recipes, but, I am not a fan of them. I find them to be too hard to digest and they they leave an weird aftertaste.
Tofu is an acquired taste for me (and maybe for you to?). It can be bland, but, that makes it perfect for any recipe. I like to think of it as a blank canvas which I can pair with any ingredient and turn it into a masterpiece.
How great would this tofu scramble recipe be on a lazy morning when the rain is pounding away outside and the forecast calls for more rain.
Or worse, the forecast calls for 5 ft of snow….
So, next time you are looking for a simple breakfast recipe that is vegan, healthy and filling, I hope this tofu scramble recipe pops into your mind.
What is your favorite tofu recipe?
I learnt how to make tofu in the air fryer and it’s a game changer! Try it and let me know what you think.
This post has been updated on 2-15-19 with size-optimized images, Useful tips and a video showing how I made this tofu scramble. I also added the section on how to press the tofu because its a very common question I get. Here is the link to the original post which was posted on Jan 23, 2019 at 639pm
Tofu Scramble Recipe – Southwestern Style
For roasting the potatoes
- 7 baby potatoes Skin on, Each potato cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the rest of recipe
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1/4 red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 piece Hatch chili or Serrano, finely chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1/2 cup black beans thoroughly washed
- 1/2 Block firm tofu pressed, crumbled
- 1 tsp Lime juice Freshly squeezed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a bowl, add extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and cut potatoes
- Spread the potatoes on a baking tray, roast for 20 minutes
- While the potatoes are in the oven, heat a medium pan and add oil
- Add cumin seeds, chopped garlic, hatch chili and red onions until onions brown
- Add the bell peppers until they soften (about 7 min)
- Add corn, black beans and tofu.
- Cayenne pepper and taco seasoning. Mix well
- Add the roasted potatoes and lime juice.
- Garnish with Cilantro and serve immediately