Pickled tomatoes is a very easy recipe to make. You can preserve cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes and even tomatoes on the vine. You only need 5 ingredients to preserve tomatoes those beautiful summer tomatoes you grew!
What to do with tomatoes?
Those summer tomatoes deserve to be put in a delicious recipe.
How often do you hear “tomato” and “pickle” in the same sentence?
That makes me sad! So, I am bringing you my favorite way of preserving summer tomatoes.
Every summer, when you grow tomatoes, what do you end up doing with them?
Give it to friends? Can them? Let them spoil?
Instead, pickling them is a much better idea and they will be good in so many different recipes.
Before preserving tomatoes, I pickled vegetables like cauliflower, carrots, bell pepper and pearl onions. This is a great way to save veggies that don’t get used.
Its such a bummer when you paid so much for cauliflower only to put it in a compost bin, right?
If oil is not your thing, try it with vinegar or spiced infused water
What kind of tomatoes can be pickled?
- Heirloom Tomatoes
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Roma Tomatoes
- San Marzano Tomatoes
- Green Tomatoes
- Beef Steak Tomatoes
- Campari Tomatoes
- Jubilee Tomatoes
- Grape Tomatoes
- Tomatoes on the vine
Benefits of preserving tomatoes
1. You get to enjoy them anytime
A good tomato should never be missed. In the cold, harsh winter months, your preserved tomatoes are going to remind you of a fun afternoon spent on the beach in the summer.
2. It tastes great when preserved
All the spices and herbs added during the preserving process enhances the flavor of tomatoes. It adds spice, sweetness and tang to the tomatoes.
Are you drooling yet?
3. Its a very therapeutic process.
Seriously! Take a few tomatoes and preserve them right now. You will know exactly what I mean. Its like when you see people working on the Nature Japanese Garden with the tiny rakes and sand. Until you try it yourself, you don’t understand why they get so much peace out of it.
The same thing happens when you preserve tomatoes. Adding the ginger, carom seeds, onions and parsley to the tomatoes will light up your eyes because of the colorful medley. The best part is lazily adding the oil to the bowl and mixing it.
Its a very Zen experience!
Have you checked out the history of tomatoes?
How to use these tomatoes?
- In a simple tomato sandwich
- Soup recipes like Orzo Soup
- Curries like Cabbage Curry
- Vegan Calzone recipe with meatballs
- Cold pasta salads are perfect for this preserved tomato
- Greek Couscous Salad recipe – Use instead of sun-dried tomatoes
- Best DAMN Tomato sandwich – you can use pickled tomatoes instead of plain tomatoes
8 Ways of preserving tomatoes
1. Make Ketchup
Making ketchup at home is so easy and healthier. You get to control the salt and other ingredients. Plus, you get to use fresh tomatoes
2. Make Cuban sofrito
Cuban sofrito is so versatile because you can use it in so many different recipes. You can put them in so many different meals like burritos and enchiladas.
Plus, a sofrito recipe can last a really long time. You can even freeze them in ice cubes and keep it for months.
3. Make tomato relish
Its such an easy recipe and you get to use nothing but fresh tomatoes in it.
4. Oven roasted cherry tomatoes
Oven roasted cherry tomatoes are so good! You can eat them like candy! When roasted, the cherry tomatoes releases their juices and turns it into a sweet, yummy snack or topping.
If you have a tomato lover in your life, here are 10 gag gifts that you can give tomato lovers.
Summer Pickled Tomatoes
- 3 tomatoes on the vine cut into wedges
- 4 slices ginger thinly sliced, with skin on
- 1½ Tbsp carom seeds AKA Ajwain Seeds
- ¼ red onion julienned
- ½ cup curly parsley finely diced
- 1½ cup extra virgin olive oil or adjust according to your taste
- Place the tomato wedges in a large bowl
- Add the ginger slices
- Top with carom seeds
- Add the red onion
- Add the curly parsley
- Drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil
- Mix very well
- Place the tomatoes in a glass mason jar
- Place glass jar in a cool, dry and dark place
- Use after about 5 hours of marination