Tofu Scramble With Southwestern Flavors – This is a quick vegan breakfast recipe full of flavors and nutrition. The southwestern flavors in this scrambled tofu recipe are the perfect way to start the day
How many times have I confessed my love for Mexican and Southwestern food? Not enough times!
Today, I bring you a southwestern recipe that I have loved for a long time. This is something I normally eat for Sunday brunch or breakfast-for-dinner meals. It is always successful and I end up having a blissful sleep that night.
For this recipe, I added potatoes which I don’t do often but it makes for a nice and hearty dinner. You can substitute sweet potatoes, if you prefer. Either way, it will be a delicious meal.
When I eat this tofu scramble for breakfast, I feel energized and it lasts all day. It is the protein from this meal that makes all the difference. I don’t find myself dragging my feet or lethargic all day.
Some vegans like to put vegan eggs in breakfast recipes, but, I am not a fan of them. I find them to be too hard to digest and they they leave an weird aftertaste.
Tofu is an acquired taste for me (and maybe for you to?). It can be bland, but, that makes it perfect for any recipe. I like to think of it as a blank canvas which I can pair with any ingredient and turn it into a masterpiece.
Here is a little secret. The best tofu scramble accompaniment is this Mexican mimosa recipe by Garnish With Lemons. The sparkling wine adds a delicious flavor to the tofu.
Ok, I am seriously craving this meal right now. I don’t know why I write this recipes after I have eaten them! I know that just looking at the photos will make me hungry. Yet, I never learn. 🙂
Just look at this photo! Doesn’t it just make you want to run to the kitchen and whip up a batch?
How great would this recipe be on a lazy morning when the rain is pounding away outside and the forecast calls for more rain.
Or worse, the forecast calls for 5 ft of snow….
So, next time you are looking for a simple breakfast recipe that is vegan, healthy and filling, I hope this tofu scramble recipe pops into your mind.
What is your favorite tofu recipe?
Tofu Scramble Recipe
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2) Finely chop 1/2 of a red bell pepper, 1/4 of a red onion and 2 cloves of garlic.
3) Cut 1 cup of small potatoes into 4 pieces and place them in a bowl. Add 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil & 1/4 tsp of sea salt to the potatoes. I don’t peel the skin from the potatoes.
4) Spread the potatoes on a baking tray and place in the oven for 20 minutes or until the potatoes start to brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
5) While the potatoes are in the oven, heat a medium pan and add 2 tsp of coconut oil. Add 1/4 tsp of cumin seeds, chopped garlic and red onions. Stir and let the onions turn brown
6) Add the chopped bell peppers and stir. Add 1/4 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of cayenne pepper. Mix well and let the red bell pepper soften (about 7 minutes)
7) Add 1/2 cup of corn and 1/2 cup of black beans. Mix well and set aside
8) Drain and crumble 1/2 a block of firm tofu (I don’t recommend using extra firm for this recipe). Add the tofu to the pan with other ingredients
9) Add the roasted potatoes to the tofu mixture and mix well. Add 1/2 tsp of salt (optional), 1/2 tsp of freshly ground black pepper and 1 tsp of freshly squeezed lime juice. Mix well
Serve this tofu scramble immediately. You can serve with warm tortillas if you want.