Vegan pesto spread with chives and Florida Strawberries. Takes only 7 Ingredients and made in less than 5 minutes. Use it on sandwiches or pita recipes
Who knew that you can bring strawberries and chives together into a pesto?! I didn’t know that until I cleaned out my fridge and noticed that I had chives and Florida strawberries had reached their peak freshness. This was the perfect time to use them in a delicious recipe.
I thought a vegan pesto spread would be the best way to go because they are perfect on a tangy sandwich. In fact, I make use of my strawberry focaccia in a nice pepper sandwich. Trust me, you will not want to miss that recipe.
I haven’t made too many chives recipes for this blog and now, I am wondering why! They are so easy to work with and can be used in any recipe. It is my new found mission to try and use more chives daily.
The Florida strawberries really make this recipe. They are sweet and juicy plus they were freshly picked from the farm and dropped into the clam shells. I have had a whole new love for Florida strawberries after I got to see how they are researched and grown! Do you know that it takes 5 years of research before the strawberry seeds are perfected and ready to be grown for general population?
The researchers at University of Florida are geniuses and very dedicated to the art of strawberry growing. So, the next time you bite into the perfectly sweet, juicy and red strawberry, thank these hard working researchers for the wonderful taste sensation!
I have become a huge fan of strawberries, so, don’t be surprised if you see more strawberry recipes on this blog in the coming year.
My vegan pesto recipe is on the lighter side. I decided not to use heavy oils or pine nuts. Instead, I went with cashews and almond milk. I experimented with olive oil, but, it subdued the flavor of strawberries and that was just not acceptable to me.
What is your favorite way to eat pesto?
Chive and Strawberry Vegan Pesto
1) Soak 1/4 cup of cashews overnight
2) In a food processor, add 1 cup of finely chopped chives
3) Add 1/2 cup of strawberries. I roughly chopped them before adding to the processor
4)Add 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
5) Drain the water from the cashews. Add the cashews to the processor.
6) Add 1/4 cup of almond milk
7) Add 1/8 tsp of salt and 1/8 tsp of red pepper flakes. The pepper flakes are optional but I like them because they added just a little kick to the vegan pesto
8) Add 1 Tbsp of freshly squeezed lime juice
9) Process on low speed until everything is well blended.
Remove from the blender and let the vegan pesto chill for about 15 minutes before serving.
Vegan Pesto Spread With Chives And Strawberries
- 1/4 cup of cashews plus water to soak it in overnight
- 1 cup of finely chopped chives
- 1/2 cup of strawberries
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 1/8 tsp of red pepper flakes.
- 1 Tbsp of freshly squeezed lime juice
- Soak 1/4 cup of cashews overnight
- In a food processor, add 1 cup of finely chopped chives
- Add 1/2 cup of strawberries. I roughly chopped them before adding to the processor
- Add 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- Drain the water from the cashews. Add the cashews to the processor.
- Add 1/4 cup of almond milk
- Add 1/8 tsp of salt and 1/8 tsp of red pepper flakes. The pepper flakes are optional but I like them because they added just a little kick to the vegan pesto
- Add 1 Tbsp of freshly squeezed lime juice
- Process on low speed until everything is well blended.